Red Maple with Silver Maple - Twisted

KindZone

Seedling
Reaction score
Am I actually torturing these two trees, or do they have a solid chance to live and support each other ?image.jpg
I am just trying to experiment with growing these trees, and see what happens. It would be excellent if this actually works. If anyone reading this has any input, advice, or experience with this type of planting, I would be grateful to hear your thoughts.
Thanks for looking in !
(KZ)

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In many ways while they are similar maples, they are actually quite different in many significant ways.
I have nothing except enjoy your experiment.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
T’will be interesting, certainly.

I can not wait to see the progress/results!
(To add to what @penumbra was saying
Two things to consider/be aware of is the differences in lobes... the silver maples leaves are VERY deeply lobed... possibly the DEEPEST around me... whereas the Swamp Maple (Rubrum..) has fairly shallow lobes on broad leaves.

There is also going to exist slight-moderate variances in internode sizes betwixt the species.

These are just things to mentally “get out ahead” of.. so you anticipate growth patterns correctly. :)

There’d be only slight growth rate variance, I believe.. nothing to worry about...

But wait... THAT variance might matter more AFTER they “meld” 🤣.. but NO idea... I guess we are going to find out... I’m excited.

community:identity:stability .... Brave New World. ;)

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The leaf shapes are definitely different but I would be more concerned with the growth rates, red is fast but silver is extremely fast, and red maple is fairly hard while silver is very soft. Also red is a bit more flexible while silver is very brittle.
Don't know what kind of frankenmaple it will produce but I will be watching out of morbid curiosity. Not to say that there is anything wrong with your experiment. That is what I view it to be.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
The leaf shapes are definitely different but I would be more concerned with the growth rates, red is fast but silver is extremely fast, and red maple is fairly hard while silver is very soft. Also red is a bit more flexible while silver is very brittle.
Don't know what kind of frankenmaple it will produce but I will be watching out of morbid curiosity. Not to say that there is anything wrong with your experiment. That is what I view it to be.

Ooooh I forgot all about the density...

That WILL be interesting.

🤓

KindZone

Seedling
Reaction score
Thank you all for your responses !

I was aware of differences in leaf shape, and internode spacing, as well as differing growth rates. The density, and flexibility are new information, that would have influenced which to try wrapping around the other. I have several other red maple, and silver maple seedlings, with which to also experiment with. While I am aware that these are not ‘ideal’ bonsai species, I will gain experience with handling tree roots, and training branches. I just read a comment in another thread that @sorce said “It is no so much the material, as the practitioner.”, which sums it up nicely for me. Worst thing that happens is I end up with a weird firestarter stick. In any case it is the process, not the result, that has my interest.
I truly appreciate all of the input, and comments of encouragement !
(KZ)

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The different growth rates will be interesting in that branches that can't escape from each other will twist like a contorted Hazel, et al. More likely, they will escape whatever binding you apply.

KindZone

Seedling
Reaction score
Update for October 2023, this is due for repotting, and will do so before winter. Will be attempting to improve, and develop surface roots. Thanks for looking in !image.jpg

TrevorLarsen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
My only addition is maybe get two saplings that you can twist together rather that having one wrap around and one straight. I like your idea I think I’ll have to try it, maybe with two different JMs that look very different.

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
Am I actually torturing these two trees, or do they have a solid chance to live and support each other ?View attachment 317969
I am just trying to experiment with growing these trees, and see what happens. It would be excellent if this actually works. If anyone reading this has any input, advice, or experience with this type of planting, I would be grateful to hear your thoughts.
Thanks for looking in !
(KZ)
Are you going to use ziplock ties to lock these together to see if they fuse graft and join or just leave them to grow up side by side?

KindZone

Seedling
Reaction score
Are you going to use ziplock ties to lock these together to see if they fuse graft and join or just leave them to grow up side by side?
I plan to just leave them to grow side by side. If/when I try this again, I will attempt to graft/fuse them together.

Top Bottom