Red pine, browning (burned?) and dying needles

klosi

Shohin
Reaction score
Hi all. I have collected this yamadori red pine early this spring. It had a few browning needles then if I remember correctly, but I think now there are more.
It is planted in pure vulcanic soil and has been fertilized once per two weeks with anorganic fert and with pellets of organic fertilizer on the soil every time the old ones dissappear/dissolve. It has been in full sun with temperatures at max of 31°C (89F).

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Photo 14. 06. 15 12.30.37.jpg Photo 14. 06. 15 12.30.44.jpg

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I don't own a red pine so I'll wait to some who has them chime in, but it looks healthy enough and its old needles are being cast aside from being collected/age. As long as all the other/new needle keep a healthy green and you keep it well watered in the heat you should be ok.

FrankP999

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't know about your area and what's indigenous, but could be a needle cast type of fungus.

Dalmat

Shohin
Reaction score
Hi all. I have collected this yamadori red pine early this spring. It had a few browning needles then if I remember correctly, but I think now there are more.
It is planted in pure vulcanic soil and has been fertilized once per two weeks with anorganic fert and with pellets of organic fertilizer on the soil every time the old ones dissappear/dissolve. It has been in full sun with temperatures at max of 31°C (89F).

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

View attachment 76069 View attachment 76070
A slightly overwatered pine. Other than that you are OK for now.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
A slightly overwatered pine. Other than that you are OK for now.

I'm not sure it over watering as usually the needles will turn pale green to yellow, this looks like cast or throwing needles from collection.

klosi

Shohin
Reaction score
Hmm. Few different opinions. I appreciate them all so thanks.
I was under the impression that modern soil trees can't be overwatered that easily. And it is in pure anorganic material. I have been watering it almost once a day, when the soil seems dry. Mabye few times I did it even when the substrate seemed wet, because I thought that this can be difficult to overwater.
I have asked a few local friends to give an opinion so I will get back to this when I get some input from them.

If anyone has any other idea please share.
It might be needle cast from collection but not quite sure if the browning needles go with the collection stress.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It looks okay to my eye. New candles are pushing - that's the best sign.

Needle cast characteristically causes yellowing/browning in the mid-length of the needle. Yellowing/browning tips like your tree has is due to some 'environmental' cause - broken needle, ozone, etc. Rely on BNutter Bonhe's useful decision tree for diagnosing pine problems.

Top Bottom