Red Price Weigela

roelex14

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Picked this one out basically for its bark, it looks aged and has about a 1.25 caliper trunk with a nice angle that hopefully i will be able to work with.

Plan to bear root and do some serious root trimming and try to expose some nebari.

should i prune hard now or wait? it is not putting out any new buds, so it basically done with with its growing period.

i need all the help i can get. thanks

sorry about the pic being blury

Attachments

• 100_1239.jpg
    100_1239.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 58
  • 100_1243.jpg
    100_1243.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 44

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Hi Roelex,

I think you answered your own question - if the tree is done its growing season, its probably not a good time to do any hard pruning since it will be hard pressed to send out new shoots, and furthermore, this late in the season they might not have time to harden off and form new buds before winter, esp. in zone 5. Although I am not familiar with the species, a general rule is hard pruning is best done in the late fall through early spring.

The same is true for root work, but it looks like the deed is done. Bare rooting a deciduous tree at this time of the year is generally not a safe move.

Hopefully you didn't prune too many roots. I would keep it in the shade, hopefully it will recover.

Cheers

roelex14

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Haven't touched it yet. Will just throw it in a pot for now and wait till later in the fall to work on it.

thanks

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Oops ok sorry... for a second it looked like the root ball had been washed.

Btw it does have nice bark, and the trunk has potential for movement and taper.

roelex14

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
yeah only a bit of dirt fell off bc it was in a unnecessarily large pot so i just pulled it out to take it home

Top Bottom