Reducing Korean Dwarf Lilac nursery stock

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I finally managed to snag myself a Korean Dwarf Lilac from a local nursery, the notable downside being the classically overgrown profile of nursery stock, currently it has at least 3 distinctive trunks and I would like to reduce down to a singular or twin trunk. The resources I've found so far on their general care suggests pruning in late spring or winter. Spring was pretty slow to come on in my area this year, would it be unreasonable to go forward with a drastic reduction immediately or would I be better served holding myself back until the subsequent spring?

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have a small Korean Dwarf Lilac in a pot with a standard lilac right now.

The dwarf was reduced in late fall by half and just pruned down by 1/3 along with the larger lilac a couple days ago. This is my usual pruning time..

btw Neither of my lilacs seem to like summers heat. This year the pot underwent a media build up to give both more root protection.

cheers
DSD sends

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I have a small Korean Dwarf Lilac in a pot with a standard lilac right now.

The dwarf was reduced in late fall by half and just pruned down by 1/3 along with the larger lilac a couple days ago. This is my usual pruning time..

btw Neither of my lilacs seem to like summers heat. This year the pot underwent a media build up to give both more root protection.

cheers
DSD sends
Greatly appreciated, friend! May your foliage remain unblemished and bountiful.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pics!

Welcome to Crazy!

For me it always depends on weather or not you're trying to get lower buds.

Have to be careful about pruning advice for flowering things, as flowers may be the goal with the advice, we typically don't care about that till later.

Sorce

Top Bottom