Redwood Empire Bonsai Society Annual Show

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The liquidambar was in the show this year. I don't know who owns it now. I always drooled over that ROR trident.
With the rock sticking out the side of the trunk? I tried to get a picture of the back. It shows the rock really well back there. I couldn't find anyone willing to touch it for a photo. I could see the back, just couldn't get it in a picture. From the back you can see how the trunks just flows like lava over the rock and encapsulates the rock. You don't get that so much from the front.

Reaction score
USDA Zone

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would very much like to know everything about this juniper in relation to its styling. One question, is the number of conifer and pine trees that cannot follow this shape larger than the number that can? Guessing a few like jbp would break its bark.
The man that owned it is dead. It has been donated to the GSBF Collection North in his name. It is shimpaku grafted onto Sierra juniper. The style is very compact and took nature many hundreds of years to build it naturally. Could it be reproduced? Sure, anything is possible with young stock and wire. The big draw for this piece is the fact that it is natural. If it were artificial it would not have as much provenance. I am sure this could be done with juniper or pine....but why. Again it's a novelty, but a natural one.

Top Bottom