Redwood progress. Should I??? Need knowledge:)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I got this about a year ago it was suggested to put it in the ground so I did! (I think you can figure out which pic is which )
It has filled out a bit.
As of right now I am hoping for it to top out at 3 foot-ish in several years?
Should I be looking for a leader and starting to flex it up while it’s still young?
Should I be nipping the branches shorter ?

Attachments

• 6243070E-769F-4E87-86EF-BB2BA11ED8EC.jpeg
    6243070E-769F-4E87-86EF-BB2BA11ED8EC.jpeg
    324.2 KB · Views: 64
  • 72CFF7AF-B7E9-49E7-B26D-24FF1EDCE9D6.jpeg
    72CFF7AF-B7E9-49E7-B26D-24FF1EDCE9D6.jpeg
    294.2 KB · Views: 60

DonovanC

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I got this about a year ago it was suggested to put it in the ground so I did! (I think you can figure out which pic is which )
It has filled out a bit.
As of right now I am hoping for it to top out at 3 foot-ish in several years?
Should I be looking for a leader and starting to flex it up while it’s still young?
Should I be nipping the branches shorter ?

If it were mine I’d want at least a couple inches diameter at the base before I gave it much thought.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice tree.

If it were me, I’d let it grow until the needles drop, winter it over, then next spring chop at 30” plus or less, wire up a new leader, then let it grow all next year. Fertilizer and water it well.. Everything grows fast on Dawn Redwoods when they are treated right..

You actually may want to dig it up and work the roots next year, then plant it away from the wall more and rotate it.

Do that again the next year and possibly the next until the trunk fattens up a good bit. You’ve likely got a couple years to go. You can use that time to figure out what you want it to look like when it gets really fattened up.

cheers
DSD sends

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nice tree.

If it were me, I’d let it grow until the needles drop, winter it over, then next spring chop at 30” plus or less, wire up a new leader, then let it grow all next year. Fertilizer and water it well.. Everything grows fast on Dawn Redwoods when they are treated right..

You actually may want to dig it up and work the roots next year, then plant it away from the wall more and rotate it.

Do that again the next year and possibly the next until the trunk fattens up a good bit. You’ve likely got a couple years to go. You can use that time to figure out what you want it to look like when it gets really fattened up.

cheers
DSD sends
Thank you for your time! It really did take off this year once I stepped up the watering after reading about it’s likes!

Last edited:
Top Bottom