Redwood Progression

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Thought i'd share a tree since I don't do it that often. I just started this tree two weeks ago it's my first redwood. I got it from Zack Shimon at the GSBF convention this year.

I still have more detail wiring to do, lots of deadwood work, work on the apex's, and i'll probably remove some of the busy branches on the left side of the tree.

I need to find a suitable pot for it for the spring, does anyone have suggestions? I was thinking a round red unglazed semi cascade with short flat feet, or a burgandy unglazed drum of some type.

Before

IMG_2557.jpg
IMG_2552.jpg

After

IMG_2593.jpg
IMG_2591.jpg

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great start to the styling! I'm looking forward to the carving. :)

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice start, the Redwood has deadwood that holds up great too. Look forward to seeing it in the future.

ed

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
I think something like this
image.jpg

Here is some Kevin Wilson carving on a redwood for inspiration
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Thanks guys, if you happen to have any ideas for how to improve on the styling creating more empty space would love to see any sketches or photoshop mockups. I played around with the idea of removing the foliage on the right side of the tree or the smaller part of the left side but decided to keep it all for this styling. After the deadwood work I might remove one of the two sides.

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I think something like this
View attachment 44747

Here is some Kevin Wilson carving on a redwood for inspiration
View attachment 44748
View attachment 44750
View attachment 44749

wow awesome carving, I carved a thin channel in the deadwood on the back of the tree to push one of the branches i moved from the back of the tree to the front of the tree on the right side into. As I didn't have a rounded gouge i used my carving knife and broke the tip on the deadwood... Was suprised how hard the old deadwood was on this species.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks guys, if you happen to have any ideas for how to improve on the styling creating more empty space would love to see any sketches or photoshop mockups. I played around with the idea of removing the foliage on the right side of the tree or the smaller part of the left side but decided to keep it all for this styling. After the deadwood work I might remove one of the two sides.

Great job Beng! I like it! I think that's exactly what you need, is to introduce some more variety in your negative spaces. I would edit the foliage a bit and I think it will be spot on. Certainly the carving will enhance your handy work!

Ris

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Hello Ben,
From what I've ben told costal redwoods need frequently misting in summer, for now the dew will help
Togeather with cooler weather... I have a couple dawn redwood am letting grow out and another that
Looks just like costal redwood but not?

bob shimon

Mame
Reaction score
Nice initial styling. You can always remove branches later. I think sometimes folks want to carve and improve on what nature has created over many years and do a disservice to the tree. Other than clean up to the deadwood, I think that it should be left alone. Kevin Wilson's work on one of our redwoods was done at last year's GSBF convention in Sacramento. It is a very large tree in a 24" pot. Kathy Shaner bought it, and I think donated to Collection North at Lake Merritt in Oakland, Ca

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Hello Ben,
From what I've ben told costal redwoods need frequently misting in summer, for now the dew will help
Togeather with cooler weather... I have a couple dawn redwood am letting grow out and another that
Looks just like costal redwood but not?

While at the GSBF I talked with Zach and a local artist I forget his name who has a number of redwoods in los angeles. He says to protect them from the santa ana's. Keep them in partial shade 30-40% during the hottest parts of the year when the sun is highest. Don't ever let the soil dry out. He said he uses a akadama heavy mix on them and says it keeps them moist all day long. I plan to do the same when I pot this one up, I'll probably do 1/4 my normal mix and the rest akadama.

Last edited:

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Nice initial styling. You can always remove branches later. I think sometimes folks want to carve and improve on what nature has created over many years and do a disservice to the tree. Other than clean up to the deadwood, I think that it should be left alone. Kevin Wilson's work on one of our redwoods was done at last year's GSBF convention in Sacramento. It is a very large tree in a 24" pot. Kathy Shaner bought it, and I think donated to Collection North at Lake Merritt in Oakland, Ca

Thanks Bob and thanks for the great material! I was thinking a deeper pot then i may normally use to make sure the roots have ample room to seek out moisture on our hot days. We don't have the moisture in our air like you all do up north. Although I do live in west LA and the marine layer keeps me cooler then most of LA. This ones trunk is wide and since there's some old roots hanging from the trunk above the soil line I Imagine at one time it was a root burl. A few areas of the trunk have small holes where you can see through it which is real interesting, my guess is it's where roots fused many many years ago. This coming year apart from repotting it and cleaning up the deadwood I won't do much. I'm sure i'll have to chase back the foliage and buds at the base of shoots from time to time though. Once it seems to be thriving in it's new pot i'll focus on bringing out the natural deadwood features.

Last edited:

bob shimon

Mame
Reaction score
Ryan Nichols is the young man that you are thinking of. He is a good resource for growing and caring for redwoods in Southern Calif. Going with a deeper pot in your area would be a good idea. I use straight Akadama when planting redwoods and keeping them hydrated and out of the wind are the keys, along with regular feeding.

Reaction score
My issue for what it is worth with your tree would be the same
issue I would have with any really awesome big stump that one
starts to turn into a bonsai... and that would be taper...

I personally think that either your trunk needed to be allowed to
run free for some years... to thicken up and begin to come close
to the size of the stump... or that your stump needs to be reduced
through carving, to match the size of the trunk.

If the stump has awesome features and as Bob has said should be
left alone, than this leaves you with one option.
:cool:

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
My issue for what it is worth with your tree would be the same
issue I would have with any really awesome big stump that one
starts to turn into a bonsai... and that would be taper...

I personally think that either your trunk needed to be allowed to
run free for some years... to thicken up and begin to come close
to the size of the stump... or that your stump needs to be reduced
through carving, to match the size of the trunk.

If the stump has awesome features and as Bob has said should be
left alone, than this leaves you with one option.

A few larger holes will be added where natural holes already exist, I don't see the taper as an issue for the future of this tree. Take a look at the pictures you'll see 3-5 tiny white holes through the trunk when these are widened later on and carved part of it will become see through with valleys and ridges in that area bringing out the natural taper to the deadwood that already exists.

Last edited:
Reaction score
A few larger holes will be added where natural holes already exist, I don't see the taper as an issue for the future of this tree. Take a look at the pictures you'll see 3-5 tiny white holes through the trunk when these are widened later on and carved part of it will become see through with valleys and ridges in that area bringing out the natural taper to the deadwood that already exists.
Cool...
Be sure and post some pics up
when it's carved.

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score

Nice tree Beng! That's a good find at a convention! How much was it? I feel the same as Bob Shimon about old yamadori material, and that is to leave it alone as much as possible. One can not improve on the serendity of nature. But the only part that is a bit off is the straight line on top of the deadwood. That part may be your doing because you changed the planting angle of the stump, so it is not Nature's work, so you could work on that some more. So much for leaving it alone right? ;) May be you could carve that down a little bit and at the same time achieve the tapering that Sawgrass was saying about.
Beng Redwood.jpg

I see this as a double tree design. It is a good idea to reduce the trunk on the left. Here's a quick sketch of how I see it.
redwood.jpg

Now if the deawood is really flat and a double trunk design doesn't work out. Then you could consider adding a third tree to the left side. Find yourself another little stump and put in front-left to give the design some depth. Rotate the main trunk a little bit though so that it won't look so flat on.
Beng Redwood plan B.JPG

Thanks for sharing your work!
Good luck!

Last edited:
Top Bottom