Redwood Styling

dpowell

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
After reading Stacy's message (bored. . . ) I decided to try and post a few more things although arguably things have picked up a bit in the past couple of weeks.
Originally this post was going to ask about pot selection as I'm getting ready to repot in the spring, but once I took a look at the pictures it needs a bit more work before going into a good pot. Weird how you notice things in pictures and not in person.
I really like the odd arch in the base and think that's a lot of what makes the tree interesting, but one of the 2 large parallel branches in the top middle needs to go (probably the right one) and I think I want to carve away the large lump in the middle to try and improve taper.
Anyway, let me know what you think. I'm attaching pics of all sides as well as a close up of the root arch. Pic 1 is pretty close to what I think the front should be

Attachments

• Bonsai-36.jpg
    Bonsai-36.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 68
  • Bonsai-39.jpg
    Bonsai-39.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 55
  • Bonsai-42.jpg
    Bonsai-42.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 50
  • Bonsai-44.jpg
    Bonsai-44.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 46
  • Bonsai-35.jpg
    Bonsai-35.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 48

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
In my opinion, within California, redwoods can be re-potted almost any time of the year as long as they don't get hit by frost. But if you're not in a hurry, waiting til spring is a safer bet. Your tree could definitely use a wiring, but I wouldn't be too quick to carve away the lump completely as it might make an interesting feature. You may be able to hollow it and incorporate it in your design. I have styled dozens of redwoods over the last few years and have started quite a few threads on them.
Here are a couple early ones; http://bonsainut.com/forums/showthread.php?5151-A-day-of-shohin-coastal-redwoods

http://bonsainut.com/forums/showthread.php?4492-Hollow-Trunk-Coastal-Redwood

I'll be starting another one with the latest of my creations sometime soon, so I'll add it to the list when I do. Have fun!

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I look forward to seeing what you do with this tree. I also agree you might not want to rush it too much too soon.

dpowell

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Thanks for the suggestion Brian, I've enjoyed your threads and will look into hollowing that part out. I'm in no rush to repot so will wait until it starts growing in the spring. I'm not sure what I'll find and may have to remove some larger roots (I doubt it's been repotted since it's been collected) so want to get as much energy out of the roots and into the plant as possible.

Vance - When I first got the tree I thought I was taking a risk because of our hot, dry summers (my micro climate is significantly dryer than much of the SF Bay area), but it grew better than any of my other trees this year. I trimmed it 4 times, mostly clearing suckers sprouting directly off the trunk. I'll keep you updated on what I do.

Top Bottom