Redwood

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I picked this up from Mendocino Bonsai at the Pacific Nothwest Conference two weekends ago. All I've done so far is clean it up a bit, and pick out and wire up a number of leader candidates from the plentiful options, as seen.

My plans are to put it in the ground this spring in order to eventually grow out 3-5 of the leaders I've wired up - leave it there a few years until they are about 1-1.5" thick, and style the clump from there. My favorite candidates for a 5 trunk composition would be the ones indicated with red arrows.

Having said all that, I haven't worked with redwoods before, and don't know if such an approach or such a style is well suited to this species, so that's why I'm posting it here, and any input would be welcome. Thanks.

Attachments

• rw.jpg
    rw.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 98
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow, what a piece of material that is! I haven't worked with redwoods, but don't see any reason your idea wouldn't work. There are probably many ways to go with this one, I'd love to see it in person.

Perhaps you can achieve something like this::rolleyes:

Attachments

• IM000767a.jpg
    IM000767a.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 72
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just kidding. In reality, here's another way to go. Your trunk would handle this but it may be more ordinary than what you propose, hard to say.

No, it's not rooted over a rock, it's deadwood carved.

Attachments

• IM000735a.jpg
    IM000735a.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 78

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Chris and Anttal, Thanks. I'll repost as it progresses over the next few years.

grouper52

Reaction score
I looked at those redwoods at the conference many times and were amazed with the trunks on some of them. Alot of them come from areas that had been previously looged. Pretty neat little trees,

Top Bottom