Refining a Pemphis

entrari

Sapling
Reaction score
Started work on my pemphis or bantigue today. Just tried to open it up and clean it a bit. Shaping this into smaller more scaled pads and building up the main branch to the right. I have a few branches that I jinned. Wondering if I can just apply line sulfur directly or do I need to remove the bark? The bark doesn’t seem to peel off and would need to grind it to remove. Ole dead branches are a bit brittle so I would avoid it if I could.

Here’s the original photo before I started today’s work.
8A18F459-A2AF-4062-BB24-306F5F534215.jpeg

here it is now plus some views of the sides.

9B62DB68-7689-45C7-8798-7D0F0E0BA72B.jpeg
5FFE3B05-20E5-4189-919E-3FFA4F8C16A0.jpeg

491E01CC-51B9-4CC8-8561-4C4F55B2D408.jpeg

also found a pretty wide base under the surface. Wondering if I should expose it.

entrari

Sapling
Reaction score
Cool tree! Looks nice.
How long have you been working on this tree?
You'll want to remove any dead bark before using Lime Sulfur on the deadwood.
Thanks!
It’s just been with for 18 months or so. Just started working on it again after wiring and letting it grow out a bit. Haven’t repotted it though so I haven’t been able to expose the base.
Yeah I guess I’ll have to put in some chiseling for the Jins.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
(To clarify, all bark is dead...but you'd want to remove bark from dead wood befor using lime sulfur on the jins.)

So, is this a collected plant that has only been a bonsai for 18 months?
Looks like a much older bonsai than that, which is what you want, the illusion of great age.

I'm also not familiar with the species at all, I'll have to look it up later.

entrari

Sapling
Reaction score
yes It’s a collected plant but it has been a bonsai before I got it. I believe it’s been in training for about 5 years now.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Good looking tree and nice to hear from someone in the Philippines for once!

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
yes It’s a collected plant but it has been a bonsai before I got it. I believe it’s been in training for about 5 years now.
Just for the heck of it, would you tell us what you paid USD for that tree in the Philippines? Only if you want to of course.

entrari

Sapling
Reaction score
Yeah. Crazy hobby. More intricate and finished ones go for about $10,000 when fully finished. I think it’s because they banned the collection of this from the wild already.

Bonsaiguy_2012

Seedling
Reaction score
I have a pemphis now for over 10 years, im just wondering if i can defoliate? My branched have very long internodes and lanky branches?

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I have a pemphis now for over 10 years, im just wondering if i can defoliate? My branched have very long internodes and lanky branches?

Back some years ago, more than 5 years ago, we had more members from Philippines and Indonesia and Malaysia. I believe there was some discussion of defoliating Pemphis as a routine practice, once or twice a year. But I do not recall the timing. And timing is an important issue. Use the search function for Pemphis, see what you find. Maybe someone still active with experience will post.

Bonsaiguy_2012

Seedling
Reaction score
Back some years ago, more than 5 years ago, we had more members from Philippines and Indonesia and Malaysia. I believe there was some discussion of defoliating Pemphis as a routine practice, once or twice a year. But I do not recall the timing. And timing is an important issue. Use the search function for Pemphis, see what you find. Maybe someone still active with experience will post.
I tried that but didn’t find anything
I live in Hawaii so timing may be different. Thank you for your reply

Top Bottom