Refresh my memory...frozen substrate doesn't need watered...correct

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Okay...substrate froze...chopsticks frozen in pots...but my trees still in nursery mulch mix one seems not frozen on top...I took a few pitchers of snow and stuck on top of the pot. It's my hemlock. (They are in there winter enclosure) not sure if it might be frozen deeper down. So I did the snow trick I've read others do...should that be okay or should have I watered?

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
You should be fine. You just don't want the soil to become freeze-dried. If you put snow on top, it is a nice way to time release moisture into the soil.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The last time I was able to do that down here was 1989 :p

Way back when I was young and attractive, I lived in Chicago. I used to overwinter my bonsai in an unheated garage. I used to put snowballs on each pot. It was a great way to instantly tell if they needed more moisture :)

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
You should be fine. You just don't want the soil to become freeze-dried. If you put snow on top, it is a nice way to time release moisture into the soil.

Ahhh didn't think of that. Only put snow on a few...will have to go back out and add to the rest. You make a fine point.

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
I think adding snow to frozen trees is a very good practice, like mentioned, the snow is there and ready if it gets melty. I have notice that snow disappears even when it is significantly below 32, if it is dry in my storage facility. I don't know the science behind it, but it seems to evaporate somehow.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I think adding snow to frozen trees is a very good practice, like mentioned, the snow is there and ready if it gets melty. I have notice that snow disappears even when it is significantly below 32, if it is dry in my storage facility. I don't know the science behind it, but it seems to evaporate somehow.

Snow is the way to go!! I did this whenever snow was available when I lived in MA.

Crust, the answer to your question about disappearing snow can be found here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sublimation_(chemistry)

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Okay...note to self...FIND YOUR GLOVES!!! My hands are numb...but my trees are happily snowed in now...all of them. Not that I have many. Lol just 8 of them. But the arctic air is frigid...

My son (the oldest) told me...I told you not to get so many of those bonsai. :rolleyes: I had to laugh...if he only knew what others had in their "collection".

Skinnygoomba

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Prior to this week I was putting ice cubes on my soil to allow a time release of moisture. Now Mother Nature did the job for me :cool:

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It was a brisk -5 degrees on my bike ride to work!! Anything over 20 degrees? Out comes the Mankini!!

Top Bottom