Reid's shohin thread

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
Good stuff. I'd be careful with the birch - they're very susceptible to fungal attack, and the mushroom growing in the pot suggests conditions are favourable for that. Consider spraying with fungicide perhaps.

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@TomB those mushrooms are intentional! :)

Ive heavily inoculated them to out compete problematic species of fungi. I forget the exact species name but it's in the Glomus genus. They're symbiotic and benign.

I do use copper, neem, daconil, and a couple other targeted antifungal chemicals as necessary when bad fungi strike.

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
@TomB those mushrooms are intentional! :)

Ive heavily inoculated them to out compete problematic species of fungi. I forget the exact species name but it's in the Glomus genus. They're symbiotic and benign.
Very 'green' thinking there.
A while back I started to make a small deadwood planting with Birch Polypore (the bracket fungus), to use as an accent. Then I realised that as I was also trying to grow birch bonsai, it probably wasn't a good idea to be introducing a species that was definitely problematic into the garden...

Mr.E

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hey tocayo (as my spanish speaking friends would say), good start on your shohin. You don't meet many people with the name Reid ;).

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Last year I was reticent to perform aggressive pruning. I was busy, overwhelmed, and wanted to go easy on my trees to ensure they would bulk up after a move.

This year I will be a bit more aggressive—especially on the healthiest shohin—at pruning to encourage ramification.

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Two more White Birch repotted; one more to go.

This may be my favorite of the bunch:
IMG_0596.JPG

This one I am pleased with because it used to be a mess of four, straight and evenly thick branches:
IMG_0598.JPG

All five:
IMG_0599.JPG

They've been reliably putting on 2–4 feet of growth each year when I let them go without constraint.

Last edited:

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm going to focus on quality over quantity so I am paring down my tree count. Here are two that I just potted up yesterday for my mother. They're Ilex crenata 'Dwarf Pagoda' and Shimpaku juniper. The holly has been receiving clip and grow techniques for three growing seasons and the juniper received a little wiring last year (it needs a lot more).

Attachments

• IMG_0705.JPG
    IMG_0705.JPG
    209 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_0707.JPG
    IMG_0707.JPG
    249.6 KB · Views: 236

Bananaman

Chumono
Reaction score
Nice group of trees. Most of them look like cut down gallons of assorted varieties. Thats good, BUT...one piece of advice...if you were my student and I've had many, I would learn you quick the art of cutting back harder. I know your in Oregon and stuff does not always grow super speedy, but no sense wasting the time watching it grow only to say "self, why didn't you cut that back harder in the first place".

Top Bottom