Reid's shohin thread

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think the basic issue is the seeming two or three competing leaders. I think one needs to be heaviest (dominant).

SharedScreenshot.jpg Not really a virt, but I think it highlights needing to trim the right branch back and make the left trunk fatter OR you're left with a slant trunk design - not saying one is better over the other, just it makes the objectives for the next couple of years clear to me, were the tree in my collection.

Hope it is of some help toward deciding what you are going to do with your tree.

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pics to come later on the crabapple, but for now take a gander at the root gall infection I just found and excised while repotting it
C1286263-9F42-4B30-BB1D-971B8572934E.jpeg 76D120C2-86F7-4FF0-AA3E-293E17E5479E.jpeg

There were about 6 of them this size, all at cut sites from the previous repotting. Now I’ve gotta sterilize my tools!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Pics to come later on the crabapple, but for now take a gander at the root gall infection I just found and excised while repotting it
View attachment 352251 View attachment 352252

There were about 6 of them this size, all at cut sites from the previous repotting. Now I’ve gotta sterilize my tools!
Thanks for mentioning this. I didn't know that galls were problem in crabapple. I just got an Indian Magic crabapple from Evergreen Garden works so I will keep an eye out for galls with repots.

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for mentioning this. I didn't know that galls were problem in crabapple. I just got an Indian Magic crabapple from Evergreen Garden works so I will keep an eye out for galls with repots.
I’m pretty sure the problem was all from the roots being too wet. The soil mix was super fine — 100 percent particles from about 1/20 to 1/12 of an inch.

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks like I haven’t yet posted this one.
IMG_0072.jpeg

Last year, I took three root cuttings from my quince clump and stuck them together in an inexpensive pot. On their own they were each pretty basic and flawed. Together they’re… weird.

Improving that right side trunk would make me happy. It at least needs some movement or the angles of the branches need fixing. Time will tell.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Portland, Oregon, United States of America
USDA Zone
9b
Looks like I haven’t yet posted this one.
View attachment 357692

Last year, I took three root cuttings from my quince clump and stuck them together in an inexpensive pot. On their own they were each pretty basic and flawed. Together they’re… weird.

Improving that right side trunk would make me happy. It at least needs some movement or the angles of the branches need fixing. Time will tell.
nice i'm thinking of doing this with my Texas Scarlet when the flowers are done. I don't have as many flowers as you, maybe I need to move mine into more sun?

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
nice i'm thinking of doing this with my Texas Scarlet when the flowers are done. I don't have as many flowers as you, maybe I need to move mine into more sun?
I keep mine in full sun but shade in the late afternoon. They definitely like sun!

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
View attachment 352251 View attachment 352252

I've had problems with root gall on a crab apple (now resolved I think). In my case it was due to an infestation of Apple Woolly Aphid http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/advice/pests_and_diseases/identifier.shtml?apple_woolly_aphid which also causes galls on the branches. Might be an idea to check for any evidence of these, and treat as required. I found they hide in cracks in the bark. I had to remove quite a lot of material to get rid of the problems in the end.

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I had a couple batches of four-year-old Japanese maple saplings that I had been keeping small. Last night I decided to chuck them into pots so they could get to know each other. I’ve grouped them by bark color.

I’ll probably sell these in the future but for now they’re fun to tinker with.

I slightly messed up the orientation on this group; that’ll be fixed in a year or two:
47F2E125-0898-4DF0-A06D-E42FD7642ECE.jpeg

This grouping will probably need a little more work for micro positioning and branch orientation:
D902CA6F-A9F8-45FF-896D-BD52897A6EA8.jpeg

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This root cutting came from my large Japanese Quince clump back in 2018. I put it in its first ceramic pot a few weeks ago.

The wire needs to come off soon. Next year it’ll probably get some major structural cleanups, especially on the funky upper left branching.
751B0720-F889-406D-9CFD-05754D1B70F5.jpeg

Reaction score
Portland, Oregon, United States of America
USDA Zone
9b
This root cutting came from my large Japanese Quince clump back in 2018. I put it in its first ceramic pot a few weeks ago.

The wire needs to come off soon. Next year it’ll probably get some major structural cleanups, especially on the funky upper left branching.
View attachment 364559
What time of year are you taking root/branch cuttings? I want to start a couple clumps.

Top Bottom