Relatively cheap Grafting knife

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have been using this chip carving knife for a while and decided to share to those who may be looking for one.

I find this works really great...sturdy, good control, good design, sharp, holds an edge well, and doesn't break the bank. :cool:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/331188829896?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

attachment.php

Attachments

• TwoCherriesChipCarvingKnife.JPG
    TwoCherriesChipCarvingKnife.JPG
    10.4 KB · Views: 114

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks I never thought of that. I do some whittling from time to time so I have a couple of knives that I have kept very sharp.

I purchased mine from woodcraft when there was a store locally. They are good quality and won’t break the bank.

Knives and Utility Blades

garywood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Single bevel?

This is a perfect V wedge. Bevel is from edge to back...you can call it double. For me it is much simpler and perfect for both left and right hand application. Push or pull cut style, doesn't matter.

Last edited:

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks I never thought of that. I do some whittling from time to time so I have a couple of knives that I have kept very sharp.

I purchased mine from woodcraft when there was a store locally. They are good quality and won’t break the bank.

Knives and Utility Blades

As garywood posted...different makers may make them differently so I cannot say the same is true for other makers.

Please check the bevel. I think Pfeil (great brand) does the same style. Flexcut does not.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
What kind of advantage does a grafting knife have over an exacto knife or box cutter with a fresh blade?

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
What kind of advantage does a grafting knife have over an exacto knife or box cutter with a fresh blade?

Sturdier & the bevel issue. You do not want something that easily breaks, or wobbles when you try to change angle (you need full control). Bevel is a biggie that you have to learn to properly adjust to. If you can, that is great.

EDIT: Note that bevel will influence your cut (will make it push the cut to one direction--inward or out, depending on where the bevel is)...again goes back to control.

To be honest, I use exacto knife to prep my scion.

Last edited:
Top Bottom