Reliable USA Source for JWP Seeds?

Hyn Patty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Anyone here have any suggestions for a reliable source in the United States they have gotten Japanese White Pine seeds from that were reasonably viable? I can order them cheaply enough from China, and will if I can't find a good source in the US. I thought it worth asking here first. I still have about two more months of winter in the higher elevations up in our mountains. Otherwise I can wait until later in the year for next winter's planting.

Hyn Patty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'll check them out, thanks. If I order them from China it'll take 2 to 4 weeks for them to get to me and I'll loose a month of winter for out door sowing this season. Though I could stratify them in the refrigerator if I must. Alas, TreeSeeds.com didn't have them. I have seen a couple of sites now that mention 60 days /warm/ stratification before the 90 days of cold stratification so I'm not going to get them germinated this year anyway, most likely. So I'll be on the look out for them for late summer/early autumn planting.

Hyn Patty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I imagine they'll like it up here better than Japanese Black Pines - since I'm up at around 4,000 feet on a mountain that's around zone 5 up here. Lots of rainfall too.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I would only purchase from a company like Sheffield's, or Schumacher. Why? Best way to store seed long term, is cool and dry. JWP stored cool and dry will naturally drop below 50% germination in as little as 18 months. The two companies I mentioned tell you when each lot of seed was harvested. This way you know if your seed is fresh. If you don't see harvest data on the website before you order, you are not dealing with a reputable seed company. Sheffield's is my favorite source of seed.

On JBP or Jack pine or P sylvestris, self life cool and dry is around 10 years before germination drops below 50% . For these source is not as important.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I imagine they'll like it up here better than Japanese Black Pines - since I'm up at around 4,000 feet on a mountain that's around zone 5 up here. Lots of rainfall too.
You close to Highlands, NC?

CasAH

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They are not easy to find in Japan.

I had my niece look for them and she was told no one grows jwp from seed. They are all looking for certain cultivars and buy cutting or grafted trees.

Hyn Patty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They are not easy to find in Japan.

I had my niece look for them and she was told no one grows jwp from seed. They are all looking for certain cultivars and buy cutting or grafted trees.
I don't have much budget to work with after buying this house this year and having several projects already planned, such as building my art studio/greenhouse in the next year or two. Though if a dwarf cultivar like 'Arkawa' is much preferred, I might get a grafted one for our yard and do air layering instead. Advice is much appreciated.

CBarnard

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Jonsteen Company sell Guaranteed Seed Grow Kits and live tree seedlings. Their customer service and shipping is superb! Recently purchased 3 JBPs. Seedlings do come as plugs though. sequoiatrees.com . Sorry, Don't see any JWPs on thier site, but still great resource.

Hyn Patty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Jonsteen Company sell Guaranteed Seed Grow Kits and live tree seedlings. Their customer service and shipping is superb! Recently purchased 3 JBPs. Seedlings do come as plugs though. sequoiatrees.com . Sorry, Don't see any JWPs on thier site, but still great resource.
Thank you! I'll have a look - I'm also on the look out for an Atlas Blue Cedar though I plan to look for nursery stock for that one for sure. I have a bunch of JBP seedlings already that I started last year and am starting more of them this year.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You do realize that you likely will not get JWP with those short needles that we admire in bonsai, don't you? Regular ol' Japanese white pine needles are about 3" long.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Yes, I am close to both Highlands and Asheville, about half way in between but closer to Highlands. I got there a few times a month. why, Brian?
My mother in law lives in Highlands, her parents did too, so we’ve had family connections there since 1978. Nice place.
Welcome!

Hyn Patty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You do realize that you likely will not get JWP with those short needles that we admire in bonsai, don't you? Regular ol' Japanese white pine needles are about 3" long.
That is precisely why I'm trying to do my homework for and seeking advice. I may not even try JWP if it proves to be too expensive, or too difficult. So I am information gathering. As I do live up on a mountain I'm keeping an eye towards what will do best up in my location.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I may not even try JWP if it proves to be too expensive, or too difficult.

You might consider Bristlecone pine. Five-needle pine with naturally short needles. Slow-grower, but then again, so is JWP. Would grow perfectly in your area.

You can buy Bristlecone pine seeds by the 100 at treeseeds.com.

bristlecone.jpg

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
JBP will still do well for you in that area.

Don’t bother with seeds for JWP. The needle quality will be poor. The way to go is find a JWP with good needles, and use it for grafting. Graft onto Eastern White Pine. That way the stock and scion will both be similiar.

JWP don’t air layer easily, either, with the exception of two cultivars: Zuisho and Kokonoe. But they’re fairly rare and expensive.

Hyn Patty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
JBP will still do well for you in that area.

Don’t bother with seeds for JWP. The needle quality will be poor. The way to go is find a JWP with good needles, and use it for grafting. Graft onto Eastern White Pine. That way the stock and scion will both be similiar.

JWP don’t air layer easily, either, with the exception of two cultivars: Zuisho and Kokonoe. But they’re fairly rare and expensive.

Interesting and duly noted. I'll keep that in mind then, thank you Adair. I appreciate everyone's feedback on the topic.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Interesting and duly noted. I'll keep that in mind then, thank you Adair. I appreciate everyone's feedback on the topic.

It may not be obvious... but I am a big fan of bristlecone pines. One of the reasons why I like them is they seem to backbud readily when healthy - more so than any pine that I am familiar with.

Sadly, I have tried different sources, different species... but I can't keep them alive here in Southern California. In my opinion it's not the heat that does them in - it's the dryness (as well as the lack of reliably cold winter).

Top Bottom