Remove middle trunk?

Cotyledon

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6/7
un known azalea stump. About 9 inches across. Should I remove the middle trunk too?

Dug up today from landscape shrub. I never had a multi trunk tree . Ideas welcome. Tree wil prob sit for 2 yrs after pruning. image.jpgimage.jpg

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
It looks to me like the best tree here is if you just cut it along the right profile line of the far left trunk. Maybe you'd get a big ole sumo single trunk AND a double trunk with potential... Or maybe you'd kill the whole thing, who knows! Whatever you do, I'd prolly wait a year or two.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
The middle trunk is the only one with any real character. Remove it and all you have is a stump that goes off in two widely different directions.
Get rid of all the long, skinny branches (or shorten them to 1-inch stubs), then let it grow, pinching regularly to develop side branches. Do this for a couple of years, then see what you have.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Azaleas can be split, if you want to keep left trunk as tree #1, and two right trunks as tree #2

Cotyledon

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6/7
I agree the left trunk is the nicest part. How would you guys split it? Chainsaw? Axe would prob crush it?
Now I have to go stare at this thing for a while:confused:

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I agree the left trunk is the nicest part. How would you guys split it? Chainsaw? Axe would prob crush it?
Now I have to go stare at this thing for a while:confused:
I like the axe idea, i bet noone ever tryed that, that will bring even more character exspeccially when u chop it wrong :)

Cotyledon

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6/7
I may have to buy a cheap recip saw. I use a multi tool to reach in tight spots and that works great. Also It will look nice and mad scientist like when I use it. My wife always comes out when I'm working on trees and says "poor tree":rolleyes:

We could prob create some real interest with some wild ax swings:D . Or get a friend and crack it like a wishbone

johng

Omono
Reaction score
Who knows how it is going to recover especially with those huge pruning scars....give it some time, then make your decision. The tree will most likely decide for you.

Top Bottom