Remove window screen?

Kdavis1109

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Don't bite the newbie. I have a few small bonsai in a southern facing window at the moment. Does the window screen greatly affect the amount of light coming into the window? Should the screen be removed? Thank you

Attachments

• 15879953499759172613434917121851.jpg
    15879953499759172613434917121851.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 67

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Yes, and the window too if possible.
Most bonsai, with the exception of two or three species, die indoors.
That's not your fault, it's the plants that just can't handle indoor conditions for a long period.

It's better to have them outside. I think it's better you know that now, before they actually start declining.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
It does effect the light quite a bit. The glass itself (modern E glass) knocks out approx. 20-25%. I would imagine the screen takes another 25%. Should you remove it depend on what you're growing behind it. What are it's light requirements? If you have a light meter on a camera you can measure it.

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Welcome! Get those plants outdoors for the most part. Everything adds up to greatly affect your plants and how well they do. If they're indoors plants remove the screen. Tell us the plants and we can make more sense.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Yep. Then remove the pane, and throw them trees out!

Sorce

Kdavis1109

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have a red maple that I grabbed from a work site before the mowers got it plan to rehome it outside on the dirt if it survives, 2 ficus and a chinese elm. Unfortunately my only outdoor option is a covered northern facing balcony.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a red maple that I grabbed from a work site before the mowers got it plan to rehome it outside on the dirt if it survives, 2 ficus and a chinese elm. Unfortunately my only outdoor option is a covered northern facing balcony.
Still better than a windowsill--which is about the worst place for bonsai.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I see a Ficus, maybe a Eugenia or Malpighia, and possibly a Fukien tea or else it is a Chinese elm. Those 3 trees are not particularly high light plants. The elm is the most demanding of high light. The brightest light indoors through windows is considered shade outdoors.

You can leave the window screen, especially if you would like to open the window over the summer. Mosquitoes can carry Zika, and a couple other diseases that have begun to spread through North America. Screen in or out won't make that big a difference, though out is definitely a little brighter.

If you are in an apartment, without any place to grow outdoors, consider adding lights for the winter. That will improve growth some over the winter.

Many of us run our tropicals indoors for winter, outdoors for summer. But apartment dwellers may not be able to do that.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Ah, 2 Ficus and an elm. The balcony, even though it faces north is a far better place for your trees than a windowsill for the summer. Actually, you Chinese elm might be happiest spending winter on your balcony, central Maryland is not that cold, the Chinese elm would really like a cold, totally dormant rest better than being forced to grow all winter on a windowsill.

One of the benefits of the balcony, is the daily temperature swings. Trees like to warm up during the day, high 70's through the middle 80's are ideal for photosynthesis, and they like to cool off at night. This happens without human intervention when trees are grown outdoors. Humidity will be more favorable outdoors on the balcony.

Kdavis1109

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I'll move the elm to the balcony. Should I leave it on the balcony in the winter or place it in the outdoor store closet once it loses its leaves? I was told not to put the ficus out until night temps stay above 60F but that may not be true. We are still getting into the mid 40's at night mid 50's during the day.

I'm afraid to move them outside until it gets warmer

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Elm can go out now

Ficus can go out once temps stay above 50 F most nights of the week.

In winter, the elm can be left on the balcony set in a cheap styrofoam cooler. The cooler will slow the swings in temperature. BUT your outdoor storage closet is a very good alternative too. Either will work.

Kdavis1109

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Elm can go out now

Ficus can go out once temps stay above 50 F most nights of the week.

In winter, the elm can be left on the balcony set in a cheap styrofoam cooler. The cooler will slow the swings in temperature. BUT your outdoor storage closet is a very good alternative too. Either will work.

Thank you Leo! That makes sense. The elm will go out now and live outside and the ficus(s) will stay inside for a bit longer and join the elm later. #condobonsai

moke

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I don't think the screen affects the amount of light entering the window and your bonsai. Even so, you can consult with the master about it, or with the florist maybe. Although I don't think they have much effect on the light coming in. I have many colors at home, but the window is significant, and when planning it, I wanted the screens not to be too large at once. So I don't have any questions about it. Maybe it really bothers me, but I ordered from joinerysolutionssw.co.uk, and I was told that it has no effect in my case. So I think you should contact them and they will answer everything.
1621986911321.png

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Window screen blocks from 15% to 30% of the sunlight on average, Some screens block more.

Top Bottom