Removing a major branch…

StPaddy

Mame
Reaction score
On a shimpaku. Repotted eight weeks ago reducing roots by half. Showing new growth and back budding now. Healthy. I want to remove a major branch that is also the apex. Wait till fall or now…? No rush I’m in socal by the coast.
Thanks for any advice. I’m unsure when and it will remove around 40 percent of the foliage.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
8 weeks is not all that long for junipers. I don't consider transplanted trees safe until after mid summer - about 4 months after transplant.
Your 50% root reduction is less severe so you may get away with that now but much safer to wait the full season for those roots to recover properly.
As you are in no real hurry sit on hands for another couple of months. Even if the tree can cope with reduction now response is likely to be much better when the roots are stronger in a few months.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Aye.

No sense removing anything ever till it is compromising keeper design.

Sorce

ShimpakuBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
If you want to take off a large branch maybe you can air layer it (next year) to make a new tree out of it.

StPaddy

Mame
Reaction score
8 weeks is not all that long for junipers. I don't consider transplanted trees safe until after mid summer - about 4 months after transplant.
Your 50% root reduction is less severe so you may get away with that now but much safer to wait the full season for those roots to recover properly.
As you are in no real hurry sit on hands for another couple of months. Even if the tree can cope with reduction now response is likely to be much better when the roots are stronger in a few months.
thank you. This is exactly what I needed to know. Much obliged!

StPaddy

Mame
Reaction score
If you want to take off a large branch maybe you can air layer it (next year) to make a new tree out of it.
Appreciate that but am not looking to make another tree from this branch. Not worth the effort. Considered it but not appealing material.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Thanks!

Future!

Is it actually beginning on the right there and just..... holding that other branch down for you?

If it is eminating from that crotch there, it could make an interesting piece of DW.

Seems plenty, almost too, lit.

I wouldn't worry about it for awhile.

Sorce

StPaddy

Mame
Reaction score
Thanks!

Future!

Is it actually beginning on the right there and just..... holding that other branch down for you?

If it is eminating from that crotch there, it could make an interesting piece of DW.

Sorce
Yep just gonna wait. I will leave it as long as I can for a deadwood feature, and probably eventually shorten it down the road. You can’t put it back right? 😎👍
The reason I asked is the apex is blocking
Sunlight from the areas I want to develop and didn’t want to miss out on any part of the growing season. I hate making mistakes that cost time.

StPaddy

Mame
Reaction score
Thanks!

Future!

Sorce
It’s holding up the branch I want to keep (maybe…probably…unsure on that one) but the branch doing the propping definitely will go away. It’s the first branch off the trunk and will go to the firewood pile come fall.

Top Bottom