Removing bark from juniper

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What do I use to remove the bark off of junipers to reveal the smooth red bark below? I have never done this before to any of my junipers. Is this something done to certain kinds go junipers or can it be applied to almost any?

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
What do I use to remove the bark off of junipers to reveal the smooth red bark below? I have never done this before to any of my junipers. Is this something done to certain kinds go junipers or can it be applied to almost any?

Watch The Bonsai Art of JAPAN Episode 3 for an answer. Watch other episodes for additional education and entertainment.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
But then, the question must be asked: WHY?

Are you making bonsai that look like real trees or ar you making bonsai that look like real bonsai?

raydomz

Shohin
Reaction score
But then, the question must be asked: WHY?

Are you making bonsai that look like real trees or ar you making bonsai that look like real bonsai?

This will never be answered. Can we all PLEASE stop asking?
Let's just let these sorts of decisions be made by those who want to make them.

Last edited:

Sekibonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Typically if you are emulating a bigger conifer, like a pine, you may want to keep the bark - especially if it is flaky and aged looking- will it contribute to the image? If you are working in the dead wood style then you pick the bark off with a craft knife/scalpel/utility knife and gently scrub the bark with a brass brush to reveal the reddish inner bark. Can also be cleaned/lubricated with a little soapy water as you brush.

This technique may be done for several reasons- 1. it perhaps invokes the idea of a trunk sandblasted clean, or more likely, I believe, because 2. the orange-red color contrasts with the green and the white of any deadwood. 3. The smooth bark and color really highlights the movement of a snaking trunk whereas "flaky" bleaced grey or brown would tend to minimize the movement.

If the species in question does NOT have pretty under-bark then it is not worth the time, IMO, as the practice is purely asthetic...

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Watch The Bonsai Art of JAPAN Episode 3 for an answer. Watch other episodes for additional education and entertainment.

Man I watched this with horror! I hated to see the old flaky bark removed on the shimp, the red bark look did nothing for me either. It looked more like a wood that was stained than a tree you might encounter in nature. I guess to each his own, I am not saying it was not a beautiful tree, I really like the styling they did to the tree but the color of the live vein just was not my cup o' tea.

ed

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I think it was Roy Nagatoshi that told me that people use red shoe polish to accentuate the red bark for shows. Never would have thunk it!

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Kobayashi uses his wifes lipstick.

Top Bottom