Removing Green Algae In Water Tank

EverydayDiesel

Sapling
Reaction score
Hello I bought a 100gallon tank so that I could collect rain water for watering my bonsais. Recently I am getting green algae growing in the bottom of the tank. What is the best way to get rid and keep this green algae away? If it matters I do have 12v out by the plants (automated watering system)

Searching it seems that this is common with pools and the answer is adding clorine but I am unsure of the effect on trees.

Here is the tank
0001094_300.jpeg

Tank specs:
http://www.boydsequipment.com/tanks/specs/LSTVert100.pdf

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Since this isn't a pool or potable water source, why get the itch to get rid of the algae? I would strictly avoid using chlorine as the strength required to get rid of the algae is potentially fatal to plants.

Best way to get rid of it would be to scrape it out manually.

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Since this isn't a pool or potable water source, why get the itch to get rid of the algae? I would strictly avoid using chlorine as the strength required to get rid of the algae is potentially fatal to plants.
Best way to get rid of it would be to scrape it out manually.
Isn't the aglae bad or maybe a source for bugs/bacteria to thrive? If it's only the green color, i'm not bothered (CBA).

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Algal growth depends on available nutrients in the water. Light isn't necessary really for this stuff to grow.
http://www.nature.com/news/2001/010615/full/news010614-13.html

Remember, algae are unicellular PLANTS. Anything that kills algae is capable of killing your trees. I'd only worry about it if it starts clogging up the tank's valves, etc.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Remember, algae are unicellular PLANTS. Anything that kills algae is capable of killing your trees. I'd only worry about it if it starts clogging up the tank's valves, etc.

It isn't harmful and in fact can be beneficial unless it starts to clog stuff up. If you REALLY want to get rid of it, you would want to avoid chemicals for the reasons rockm posted. You can kill it with a UV filter (similar to what I use my koi pond) but it would require you to scrub the walls of the tank to get the algae into suspension, at which point it would pass through the filter and die. In my pond the algae on the sides, bottom, etc, is actually beneficial so I leave it alone. I just don't like the algae floating around in the water column because it makes the water cloudy and the fish difficult to enjoy, so I use a UV filter to kill it. My koi LOVE it however :)

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
Despite your claims that light is not a driving force in algae growth, in my experience I believe it is. I tank a thousand gallons all year. Clean with bleach then get some spray paint made for plastic (dk. green or black) and stop the light. If heat is a problem shroud it. Thick algae pumped on trees has been a problem for me, a moderate amount is not. http://www.tanksystems.com/Water Tanks and Algae.html

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It isn't harmful and in fact can be beneficial unless it starts to clog stuff up. If you REALLY want to get rid of it, you would want to avoid chemicals for the reasons rockm posted. You can kill it with a UV filter (similar to what I use my koi pond) but it would require you to scrub the walls of the tank to get the algae into suspension, at which point it would pass through the filter and die. In my pond the algae on the sides, bottom, etc, is actually beneficial so I leave it alone. I just don't like the algae floating around in the water column because it makes the water cloudy and the fish difficult to enjoy, so I use a UV filter to kill it. My koi LOVE it however :)
I do as well, have an inline UV on our 6000 gallon koi pound. They work GREAT!

johng

Omono
Reaction score
Algal growth depends on available nutrients in the water. Light isn't necessary really for this stuff to grow.
http://www.nature.com/news/2001/010615/full/news010614-13.html

Rockm, I think you are slipping...
Did you even read that article???...its about genetically modified algae with a human gene...
Common algae, that is the problem here, certainly needs light to grow...hence the green color!

...eliminate the light however works best for you and the algae will not continue to grow:)

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yeah, some types of algae can grow in indirect light and lower light, but all algae need light of some sort to grow.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Searching it seems that this is common with pools and the answer is adding clorine but I am unsure of the effect on trees.

Don't ;) There are some products out there you can use to control it. What you need to know is what is in the product. For instance a small amount of copper sulfate would work and "probably" not hurt plants, pets, etc... It is however corrosive and not cool for birds to get into. You might want to call this place and ask for a technical representative and explain what our use is to determine what is safe. The 800 number is right at the top of the page. After getting that advice contact you Cooperative extension for their opinion of the recommended product.
This one is going to require some calls and homework as everyone has different needs...

Grimmy

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
To summarize. The algae in my tank means i have good water, ánd i have a green tank. So that's a double win :D I love green.

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
your saying that algae is a good thing for the bonsai's?
Algae is an indication of nutrients, so it's not the algae which are good. But you know you have good water, if algae likes it, your bonsai will like it :p

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Rockm, I think you are slipping...
Did you even read that article???...its about genetically modified algae with a human gene...
Common algae, that is the problem here, certainly needs light to grow...hence the green color!

...eliminate the light however works best for you and the algae will not continue to grow:)
Just post the wrong thing.

"Most microalgae grow through photosynthesis – by converting sunlight, CO2 and a few nutrients, including nitrogen and phosphorous, into material known as biomass This is called “autotrophic” growth. Other algae can grow in the dark using sugar or starch (called “heterotrophic” growth), or even combine both growth modes (called “mixotrophic” growth). -

http://allaboutalgae.com/what-are-algae/#sthash.Fq24YAkF.dpuf

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
your saying that algae is a good thing for the bonsai's?

Caution - Algae depending on the type can be processed in a fashion that it can be used as fertilizer. There are types that cannot. The problem in the tank is obvious as it will eventually stink and clog up operations. I suggested a chemical alternative for those reasons earlier.

Grimmy

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Take a hint from aquariums, MECHANICAL means of removing algae is preferable to chemical means. Chemicals that suppress algal growth are also potentially dangerous to your trees. Both are plants, one just has more cells than the other.

Either consider ways to scrape out the algae, or you could get something that can consume it...snails, etc.
http://www.thepondguy.com/product/a...r-pond-snails/water-gardens-fish-ponds-snails

Top Bottom