Removing moss

Krone

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hey!
I am not quite sure if should i remove moss before winter or not, and if i should, should i remove it from ground, from tree or both?
Thanks!

Reaction score
Not sure why you would. I find it takes some time for the moss to become ‘naturalized’ in the pot so removing in winter, when it grows best, sounds a bit counter productive imo

Krone

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Some time ago i have found an article about moss on the trunk can lead to wood rot. Also i have seen many trees with old, established moss in them, so now i am really not sure what to do.

Reaction score
If you’re worried with that, just remove it from the bark. No harm done I suppose.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Only tolerate moss on the trunk for show purposes, if and only if it is attractive, and only as long as you have an up-coming show. Otherwise, keep it off the bark. Moss and other organisms consume dead wood, so there will be less dry bark under moss, and wet bark deteriorates quicker than dry bark. A toothbrush works well.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
The moss I have here sticks really tight to the bark. I can't get it all off with a toothbrush and on corky bark you can damage the bark before the moss comes off. I spray the trunks with vinegar/water 50/50. moss goes brown in a couple of days and eventually falls off without damage to the bark.
Moss on the soil surface I leave all year round.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Yeah, vinegar works, but wash that thru because it can be harmful in concentration.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Yeah, vinegar works, but wash that thru because it can be harmful in concentration.
Tell me more. I've been spraying vinegar water mix on the trunks and branches a couple of times each year and have not seen any problem.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Everyone knows that moss on the trunk will harm a tree and cause its early death, as obvious here on "Angel Oak", 1,500 years old in South Carolina.
Angle Oak 1500 yrs old in S. Carolina.jpg
Or, we can remember that there are many thousands of organisms that are parasitic and many thousands that co-exist. BNut needs to have a resident Bryologist. 👨‍🎓Inquire within.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
am really not sure what to do.

Observe!

The only way to know how fast your moss will grow up your trunk Is to watch it do it!
But not on a good tree!

Moss grows in winter, especially under snow which provides water and warmth.

Moss cover on the soil is the best first defense against Frost and cold roots. The thicker the better.

Just vinegar the trunk and a little around it before you put em away and you should be fine. Throw some sphag around the trunk to block winter growth up the trunk.

Sorce

Krone

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Plain store vinegar? Should i mixed it with water? Can i apply it too much? And how high up the trunk should i apply it?
Many questions, i know :)

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Store vinegar is fine. Vinegar, from cider, or white vinegar are adjusted to about 4% as acetic acid for culinary use. This is safe to use as is with out further dilution.

If you find industrial acetic acid at a higher concentration, be cautious, dilute it to 4 % active. At 50% and higher activity, industrial grade acetic acid is sold labeled as a herbicide. The only OMRI labeled herbicide I can think of is 50% acetic acid. At this concentration, it is a skin and eye hazard.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Store vinegar diluted 50/50 with water kills moss just as effectively as straight from the bottle. I have not tried lower concentrations yet.
Just a light spray should do but you do need to spray all round the trunk to get all the moss. Vinegar only kills the moss it touches directly but does not appear to harm the tree. Spray as high as there is moss, including where it is growing in the branches. I have not tried spraying the leaves of the trees as moss is usually at the base and I can't see it higher under the leaves.
I spray 2 or 3 times each year if necessary as moss will grow back after a while.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I gathered this from the Internet:
"
17 Amazing Ways to Use Vinegar in the Garden
By Joan Clark https://www.tipsbulletin.com/vinegar-in-the-garden/ 10/04/19
More and more households are ditching the harsh cleaning supplies full of toxic chemicals and switching to more environmentally friendly alternatives that you probably already have in your pantry. One of the best natural and economical cleaning ingredients is vinegar. Not only is vinegar the perfect ingredient to use in all-natural organic cleaning products, but you can also use vinegar in the garden.
If you want to grow an organic garden, then you need to get rid of the chemical pesticides and toxic plant foods and use vinegar instead. Vinegar is an all-natural ingredient that can be used to both clean and kill germs. You can also make your own vinegar and learn how is vinegar made.
When used correctly, it will also give life to your flowers, fruits, and vegetables in all your outdoor spaces. Whether you have white vinegar or want to make use of apple cider vinegar benefits, using vinegar in the garden will give help your garden thrive and make it the envy of the neighborhood.
Vinegar in the Garden
For centuries, vinegar has been a miracle ingredient that has been used to clean our homes, improve our health, and assist us in the garden. Along with being great for getting rid of garden pests, vinegar has numerous applications for use in your garden, including using it as a copper cleaner for pots, keeping flies away and trapping fruit flies.
1. Herbicide
A typical use of your household vinegar in the garden is as an all-natural, organic weed killer. When spraying it around specific plants, you have to be careful as it can be harmful if you use too much. Spraying pure white vinegar on hard-to-kill weeds will have them disappear in a couple of days.
In a gallon bucket, combine the distilled vinegar, liquid dish soap, and cup of salt. Stir the mixture to dissolve the salt. Pour the vinegar mixture into a plastic spray bottle and spray the affected area to rid your garden of those pesky weeds.
2. Use Vinegar to Repel Ants
If you suffer from invading ants during the summer months, you can use vinegar as an ant killer for outside to deter them from your garden. Fill a spray bottle with a solution of half water and half vinegar. To kill them, spray the solution directly onto the ants. It is one of the best ways to permanently get rid of ants around your home and garden.
If you only want to deter them, spray the solution around your walkways, the walls of your garden, and on the anthills to keep them out of your garden. You can also spray the vinegar around your home to keep ants and houseflies away. Vinegar is also the perfect solution to keep ants out of cat food. Spray the solution anywhere the ants can enter your home.
3. Help with Germination
There are some seeds like nasturtiums and okra and other drought resistant flowers that are extremely hard to germinate without a little help. Give them a little boost and soak these stubborn seeds in a bowl of water and a few drops of white vinegar overnight to make the process easier and to get flowers faster.
The next day, plant the seeds as usual in your garden to see quicker results. You’ll be amazed at
The next day, plant the seeds as usual in your garden to see quicker results. You’ll be amazed at how this simple trick works!
4. Use Vinegar to Keep Fruit Flies Away
One of the most frustrating garden pests that you will have to deal with is fruit flies. These tiny pests can be an absolute nightmare when you are trying to protect your plants and fruit trees. One of the best ways to get rid of fruit flies is to trap them. You have to trap fruit flies if you want to keep them at bay.
To do this, you can fill a jar with apple cider vinegar and some liquid dish soap to create a fruit fly trap. The smell of the vinegar will lure the fruit flies into the pot, and the dish soap will cause them to sink into the jar, trapping them. For more check out our tips on easy-to-make DIY gnat traps.
5. Clean Your Clay Pots
Terracotta and clay pots are a popular choice for gardeners because of their durability and ability to provide cooling soil for plants even in extreme heat. Unfortunately, clay pots are notorious for absorbing calcium, salt, and other minerals that can leave them covered in unattractive white stains. You can clean your pots quickly with vinegar by making your own homemade all-purpose cleaner.
Combine the water and white vinegar in a small bucket. Add the clay pots to the solution and let them soak in the solution for thirty minutes to dissolve the stubborn mineral buildup. Remove from the vinegar and water and let dry.
6. Clean Rusty Garden Tools
To remove rust from your garden tools easily, spray them or soak them with undiluted vinegar. It is one of the fastest rust removal ways to use vinegar in the garden. Allow the vinegar to sit on the tools for several minutes, then wipe them down. This process will get your garden tools looking good as new.
7. Preserve Fresh Cut Flowers
One of the perks of having a flower garden is being able to display fresh cut flowers in your home. Unfortunately, once you cut the stems, their lifespan is reduced significantly. Without their roots, which are responsible for supplying the nutrients the plant needs to survive, even the hardiest of flowers will begin to wilt after a couple of days. To help prolong the life of your fresh cut flower bouquets, here’s what you need.
Fill your vase with the water. Add the vinegar and the sugar to the vase and stir to combine the ingredients. Add your fresh cut flowers. Change the solution every couple of days to keep your fresh cut bouquet of flowers around for weeks.
8. Keep Out Animals
Raccoons, rabbits, and household pets like dogs and cats can be a nightmare for any garden. As cute and fluffy as they are, to keep these unwanted animals from destroying your plants, soak a few items in distilled vinegar and place them around the perimeter of your garden to keep them from getting close.
9. Use Vinegar to Increase Soil Acidity
While vinegar can kill many common plants, others like hydrangeas, rhododendrons, and gardenias are acid-loving drought-tolerant plants that thrive on acidity. Combine a gallon of water with one cup white distilled vinegar and use it the next time you water these plants.
For plants that don’t love acid, you can add some white vinegar to your soil to fight hard water and lime.
10. Clean Outdoor Furniture
If you have some outdoor furniture or benches near your garden, you may know how hard it is to keep them clean.
You can use vinegar to clean these pieces and leave them sparkling and germ-free. It works perfectly to clean patio furniture. Just wipe down all your outdoor furniture with a cloth soaked in vinegar.
11. Get Rid of Slugs and Snails
One of the most notorious and damaging pests for your garden are slugs and snails. Just as with ants or gnats, to get rid of these garden pests, you can spray them directly with a mixture of distilled vinegar and water.
12. Get Rid of Unwanted Weeds
When you start to get unwanted weeds growing through the cracks in your driveway and sidewalk, you can use vinegar to get rid of them. Just like other natural garden weed killers, like baking soda or Epsom salt, white vinegar is an excellent weed killer.
All you need to do is spray pure white vinegar onto the affected areas to get rid of the unsightly weeds.
13. Eliminate Fungus
If you struggle with fungus and mold on your plants, vinegar can help. White vinegar is known as one of the preferred ways to kill mold at home, which also works great for your plants in the garden.
VINEGAR PLANT MOLD & FUNGUS SPRAY:
2 TEASPOONS VINEGAR + ONE CUP CHAMOMILE TEA
Vinegar is a great fungicide that can help you protect your plants from these frustrating conditions. The vinegar fungicide recipe is simple to make and easy to use.
Brew the chamomile tea and add the two tablespoons of vinegar. Pour the solution into a spray bottle and spray any plants in your garden that are affected by mold or fungus. This solution is perfect because it’s safe and organic.
14. Get Rid of Water Lines in Old Vases
The ugly water lines that can form on your old vases can put a damper on your freshly cut garden bouquet. White vinegar is such a fantastic natural glass cleaner. You can remove them by filling the vase with a solution of half water and half vinegar or use a paper towel soaked in vinegar to wipe it clean before adding your flowers.
15. Clean Birdbaths with Vinegar
It is essential to keep the water in your birdbaths and fountains clean so that the birds don’t pick up any dangerous bacteria from the dirty water. To keep your birdbath pristine, scrub the bath with white vinegar once a week.
This will help ensure that the water in the bath is always clean and will cut down on algae growth and eliminate any unwanted smells.
Vinegar and water also make an excellent homemade snake repellent, too. The creatures don’t like the smell.
16. Remove Berry Stains from Hands
Being able to grow berries in your garden is a beautiful thing until you have to harvest them. Anyone who has collected berries before knows just how difficult it can be to clean your berry-stained hands.
You don’t have to scrub your hands until they bleed anymore; instead, you just have to wash up with a small amount of distilled white vinegar to quickly remove the stains.
>> More about that: How to get blueberry stains out
17. Clean and Wash Fresh Vegetables
You can quickly clean your fresh vegetables by combining a quart of water and one tablespoon of white vinegar. Adding the vinegar to the water will ensure that any harmful bacteria is wholly removed.
Will Vinegar Kill Plants?
Since vinegar is acetic acid, you have to take care when using it on your plants in the garden. If you use too much vinegar over an extended period of time, it will eventually kill your plants, with the exception of the acid-loving plants like hydrangeas and azaleas.
You should take care when spraying any solution that contains vinegar directly on the stems and leaves of your plants as it will effectively strip the protective coating from your plants.
You should no longer relegate your vinegar to cooking and cleaning at home. Bring this miracle ingredient outside and let its power work for you in your garden. If you want your garden to be organic, stop using the harmful pesticides that contain toxic chemicals and start using vinegar today.

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
Hey!
I am not quite sure if should i remove moss before winter or not, and if i should, should i remove it from ground, from tree or both?
Thanks!
Moss should never be on the tree, ever, in my opinion.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Tell me more. I've been spraying vinegar water mix on the trunks and branches a couple of times each year and have not seen any problem.
I spray straight white vinegar directly on trunks to remove moss, as well as on weeds on the soil surface as a herbicide... have done this for years without issue.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
On the farm 50% active acetic acid is what is used as an herbicide. And even at that concentration it will not kill poison ivy, sedge nut grass, knotweed, and a few other weeds. But this product is hazardous to handle, you really need your Pesticide Applicator's License, because safety training IS NECESSARY to handle safely. A splash can easily blind a person.

4% household or culinary vinegar that it is perfectly safe to use on bonsai if you just use it as a topical application. Do not drench the soil. If it only penetrates the top half or quarter inch, top 6 millimeters, it will not harm your trees. But do not drench your soil with vinegar. Most trees will survive, but not all.

The "magazine article" saying 4% vinegar as a soil drench is an effective herbicide is largely baloney. Most weeds will survive. It will only kill a few "sensitive plants". It is definitely considered too weak to use in any commercial organic farm situation. But for "the masses at home" the magazines won't suggest anything remotely dangerous for home use. It won't even kill a dandelion.

Top Bottom