Removing the rock

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Exactly we are all offering our opinions, ultimately the OP will have to decide what they like and what they want to do with the tree.
I think it's important for OP to always understand...to find their vision. A tip from a friend I met who lives in the UK. If you follow another ones vision...that doesn't line up to your own. It ruins the tree for you.

Fred1991

Yamadori
Reaction score
I like all the opinions on here! And also i enjoy chatting will fellow enthusiasts on what they see and how they would do it themselves!

I did the work today and i had alot of fun doing it. whether it was right for tree, its health and its design and so on only the future will tell. But lockdown is making me pursue some excitement.

SO i ended up removing the stone. It wasn't easy nor difficult, but something in between. It didn't slip out but it wasn't clinging to rock either. most so a little stuck in the surrounding roots, but with a little patience i managed to get it out with out damaging too many roots (i hope/think)

First i took it out of its pots and it was definitely ready for a repot.
IMG_0541.JPG

IMG_0539.JPG

and here it is with out the stone.

from the side
IMG_0542.JPG

from the future front

so i was obviously left with roots that wasn't really able to move much. i should have expected that they wasn't magically gonna be able to move around free and positioned in a nice and natural way. but oh well i well figure it out next year. I put the tree back in the pot with new soil and with the exposed roots part i wired them i liiittle bit closer together, wrapping the neagari part in grafting tape and filling it with soil. and a bit of moss. I'm gonna exchange the tape for some netting (the stuff i have has too big holes for this mame soil.

So here's the tree now back in its pot
IMG_0544.JPG

Now i'm gonna try and hope it's comes back to good health. Then in time i wanna downsize the pot work in jining the rest of the branches and create a shari. But i'm gonna go slow from this point.

IMG_0550.JPG

here's another bad drawing of what i want to achieve

AD3316B6-301E-4C8B-858F-BAAA7A59937E 2.JPG

amount of soil and root i removed

IMG_0552.JPG

I actually tried halving the rock. that didn't work.

IMG_0553.JPG

I don't know if anyone finds this vaguely interesting. but i'm interested in your thoughts if you have any :)

Attachments

• IMG_0543.JPG
    IMG_0543.JPG
    171.9 KB · Views: 4

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Nice! Good job getting the rock out. Looking at it now you could get roots to come off those legs and convert it to a neagari style?

Fred1991

Yamadori
Reaction score
Yes thats what i'm trying/hoping to achieve. i'm hoping new roots will start growi into the soil (above the pot) filling up the hole where the rock was. And then slowly over time start to expose those roots.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It looks like whoever had it before had just stuck the rock in the roots hoping it would fuse on with time.

Now, what’s your plan? Do you want the roots to fuse together? Or do you want to have long slender roots, and a tall neagari?

The last photo I saw before you wrapped it up showed there was moss all over the roots, and the roots had little feeders growing in the moss. Those roots will tend to bind together and become a solid mass. If you want long, slender, tall neagari, you should scrub away the moss, and snip off the fine roots. That way they will form bark.

You can work it either way, it just depends on what your goal is.

Fred1991

Yamadori
Reaction score
To be honest adair. I don't know. Theres a very clear gap between the roots from each side of the rock. the roots are next to eachother rather than natural intertwined. My plan is to get some netting and make cylinder around the roots. remove the tape. clean the moss and fill the cylinder with soil and make the roots grown new roots in that cylinder on the outside and inside of the bigger roots and then slowly exposing the roots. what do you think?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
To be honest adair. I don't know. Theres a very clear gap between the roots from each side of the rock. the roots are next to eachother rather than natural intertwined. My plan is to get some netting and make cylinder around the roots. remove the tape. clean the moss and fill the cylinder with soil and make the roots grown new roots in that cylinder on the outside and inside of the bigger roots and then slowly exposing the roots. what do you think?
If you want new roots inside, stuff that interior area with moist orchid moss. If there are little rootlets on the interior, you’re all set. If not, then use a grafting knife, and shave off the bark on the interior, and maybe dust with rooting hormone before stuffing the void with the orchid moss (aka long fiber New Zealand spaghnum moss). You might want to consider removing rootlets on the exterior of the cone of roots.

Fred1991

Yamadori
Reaction score
There's alot of rootlets on the interior. That's why i hoped it would just grow in the akadama mix?

My thinking was to let the tree reestablish it self in the pot, and on the interious of neagari. And then after that cleaning up the exteriour of the neagari as you say adair.

Thanks cadillactaste i will look out for that!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
There's alot of rootlets on the interior. That's why i hoped it would just grow in the akadama mix?

My thinking was to let the tree reestablish it self in the pot, and on the interious of neagari. And then after that cleaning up the exteriour of the neagari as you say adair.

Thanks cadillactaste i will look out for that!
Akadama might work. The orchid moss most certainly will.

Top Bottom