Replanting a young trident maple

hcboxster

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Working on some really young trident maples from last year - want to do the root work young and establish a good base.

Going through and digging up each one, examining the roots and trimming where necessary. Then to decide whether to use the existing roots or do a ground layer using an old CD and a metal washer.

This one, the roots looked good enough to keep, so I re-planted on top of some flat pieces of wood. It is difficult to tell from the pictures, but the one "bare" side actually does have roots coming out. Over the next few years I will work to develop them by making sure the stronger roots stay trimmed.

Attachments

• trident04.jpg
    trident04.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 63
  • trident03.JPG
    trident03.JPG
    116.2 KB · Views: 59
  • trident02.JPG
    trident02.JPG
    91.1 KB · Views: 62
  • trident01.JPG
    trident01.JPG
    174 KB · Views: 66

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Good plan. Don't be afraid to cut them even shorter; the ramification should start as close to the trunk as possible. As an example, this is an arakawa J. Maple, cut back and planted backing the ground on a tile.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 56

hcboxster

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Good plan. Don't be afraid to cut them even shorter; the ramification should start as close to the trunk as possible. As an example, this is an arakawa J. Maple, cut back and planted backing the ground on a tile.

Thanks Brian - I appreciate the tip! I've got a few more tridents to do, and then 50-60 Japanese Maples.

Top Bottom