Replanting collected material

RichKid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Ok so early this spring, under short notice, i was told by a guy I could come and collect all the stray japanese maples on his property. So i grabbed what i could, maybe 6 trees in all. Most are doing well. They all leafed out properly etc. One never did more than the initial bud opening never any new leaves or growth and now the original leaves on it have browned and died. i dont know if the whole thing is dead or not. I guess time will tell. But I have digressed. My main question is that when i collected them i had to put them all in containers because my yard is nowhere near large enough for a huge grow out bed along w my landscaping. My mother told me I could plant them in her yard. I would like to put them back in the ground and train them there for a few years. (less work) Would it be alright to plant them in the ground this fall once the leaves have dropped? I know obviously not to move them while they are active and awake. But Im wondering if having just been collected this season will it be to early to unpot them check the roots and then ground plant them?

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You can do that now, as long as the roots are not disturbed.

What kind of pot are they in now? What kind of soil? Can you take them out of the pot and move to ground without the soil collapsing and damaging the roots? Maybe cut/remove the sides then slide the tree in the hole?

If you risk root damage, it is better to wait for the roots to mature before transplanting. More roots also "stabilize" the root ball from collapsing.

Good luck!

RichKid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Well thats my question. I have no idea what the roots are like right now. If I was certain that they had been in the pot long enough to form an actual root ball like what you get on a nursery tree versus lifting them and all the soil falling off and the roots being damaged I would have just put them in the ground with no question. They were completely barerooted this spring and placed in a good soil mix in good sized wash tub basins. Do you think by this fall they will have had enough root growth to form a sturdy rootball? Its only july they were barerooted in march/april i believe so I doubt the roots are ready to be tampered with again. But I have never done this which is why I am asking. LOL

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You are the best person to know. If in doubt, and the trees are not in danger...WAIT.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If you had a picture we could give you some advice based on the health of the trees. I've done ok with gentle fall repottings on Japanese maples prior to leaf drop just before the leaves start to change colors, as this is when the tree takes the energy from the leaves and begins to store it in the roots for the winter.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If it were me I'd wait until next spring. No reason to rush to get it in the ground when it is going to be dormant anyway.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Would it be alright to plant them in the ground this fall once the leaves have dropped?

The fall is one of the best times to plant trees in the ground.

RichKid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Everyone thanks for the replies. I also have been taught that fall is a great time to plant trees. The timing doesn't bother me. What I'm not sure about is how long a freshly collected and bare rooted trees need to recover and form a rootball strong enough for a transplant. I think the bulk are in good health, one I'm worried about. The other good thing about planting them would seem to me the added winter protection of being in the earth. My initial thought was to be patient and wait until spring to chop again and plant out. I really would like to get them in the ground earlier though and then just do the chops next spring.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
If it were me I'd wait until next spring. No reason to rush to get it in the ground when it is going to be dormant anyway.

I will go with this opinion. If it were established potted trees, I would say you can do it now with no problems as long as root system is not disturbed. However, knowing that you collected these plants earlier this year, I would also suggest to wait until Spring. I think you'll be 100% safe with this option.

Top Bottom