repot a few jades and dwarf jades

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I have a dwarf variegated one that has grown like a monster under the lights this winter, as well as some regular ones and a cork bark jade. If you want some cuttings I could send you a bunch.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I have a dwarf variegated one that has grown like a monster under the lights this winter, as well as some regular ones and a cork bark jade. If you want some cuttings I could send you a bunch.
tempting, Carol, especially for the cork. thanks for that offer. im almost at the point where i have a lot of cuttings and projects going on lol i even composted a few cuttings from these (but i did take 3 cuttings and potted them before that)

appreciate the offer

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Hi, I happened to notice this thread.

I've had a jade crassula...A bonsai I bought at an outdoor market ten years ago. I've kept it in a window and treated it like a houseplant, (knowing nothing about bonsai)...I chopped it and repotted it recently and it's been happy and there are lots of new buds etc...

Last night I went to check to see if it needed water and noticed a large stalk growing off one of three stalks that had merged at the base of the plant..One large stalk coming off the bottom of the trunk was hollow and dead.

I immediately Googled it and found a post on Houzz that was disturbing. I put the pot outdoors and this evening when it cools off (It's literally hotter than hell in Florida right now) I'll take the plant out of the pot and see what's going on.

It's odd...I'd gone 10 years without repotting it. I'd gone to a bonsai store and bought bonsai soil and it was a gallon size ziplock bag of dirt. Actually I went to two bonsai stores and they both sold 'bonsai soil' the same way. In a gallon size container of nothing but dirt. I bought the so called bonsai soil from a Vietnamese man who had exquisite trees for sale. Some he'd brought over from Asia.

I bought decorative gravel to put on top and replanted the plant in his bonsai soil. Just days later I started studying bonsai and started spending dozens of hours reading and watching youtube videos and knew that bonsai soil was not dirt and immediately ordered an akadama, pumice and lava mix. The jade seemed so happy I didn't repot it. It will be taken apart and repotted later today.

Does anyone have any idea what's happening with that piece that hollowed out and was completely dry and dead?...The rest of the plant appears happy with lots of new growth. I'm going to take it apart like a surgeon. I'd used neem oil after I repotted it last time. It had been outside for awhile before I'd repotted it and I didn't want to risk bringing any pest indoors.

Thank you if there is anyone experienced with jade crassula and knows what's going on.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Hi, I happened to notice this thread.

I've had a jade crassula...A bonsai I bought at an outdoor market ten years ago. I've kept it in a window and treated it like a houseplant, (knowing nothing about bonsai)...I chopped it and repotted it recently and it's been happy and there are lots of new buds etc...

Last night I went to check to see if it needed water and noticed a large stalk growing off one of three stalks that had merged at the base of the plant..One large stalk coming off the bottom of the trunk was hollow and dead.

I immediately Googled it and found a post on Houzz that was disturbing. I put the pot outdoors and this evening when it cools off (It's literally hotter than hell in Florida right now) I'll take the plant out of the pot and see what's going on.

It's odd...I'd gone 10 years without repotting it. I'd gone to a bonsai store and bought bonsai soil and it was a gallon size ziplock bag of dirt. Actually I went to two bonsai stores and they both sold 'bonsai soil' the same way. In a gallon size container of nothing but dirt. I bought the so called bonsai soil from a Vietnamese man who had exquisite trees for sale. Some he'd brought over from Asia.

I bought decorative gravel to put on top and replanted the plant in his bonsai soil. Just days later I started studying bonsai and started spending dozens of hours reading and watching youtube videos and knew that bonsai soil was not dirt and immediately ordered an akadama, pumice and lava mix. The jade seemed so happy I didn't repot it. It will be taken apart and repotted later today.

Does anyone have any idea what's happening with that piece that hollowed out and was completely dry and dead?...The rest of the plant appears happy with lots of new growth. I'm going to take it apart like a surgeon. I'd used neem oil after I repotted it last time. It had been outside for awhile before I'd repotted it and I didn't want to risk bringing any pest indoors.

Thank you if there is anyone experienced with jade crassula and knows what's going on.
hey

one of only issues with them is rotting from too much water.
soil for bonsai and especially jades shouldnt be 'mostly dirt' because itll retain too much moisture.
the aka lava and pum mix sounds great for you. mix in a bit of compost into those other parts, im not into full non organic.

i use oildri (clay pellets for cleaning up oil spills from hardware store) perlite (white puffy rocks) and compost or potting soil for my mixture. 33/33/33%

over the counter stuff i use miracle grow orange bag cactus and succulents and add in perlite.

dont go pure dirt or potting soil for your repots

jades do well in that orange bag i mentioned, add in a third of Sand or perlite like i do to aid in drainage

they will love outside hot sun but they dont love days on end of downpour (florida)
and in MA i sometimes move those to under cover for prolonged rain

ramble over, good luck, Katie

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Thank you, I know not to use dirt! I was just so surprised that two bonsai shops in a big town would sell bags of dirt for bonsai soil. I have definitely not overwatered it. It's a succulent and they can go forever without water. The women on Houzz found pests when she dug into hers. I have to wonder if that's what's going on. I ordered the correct bonsai mix to repot it and another pre-bonsai that's ready to pot but haven't done it yet. It's lived for ten years in dirt so it's a survivor. I knew it would wait but something very strange is going on. It was fine a few weeks ago. The branch was still there but hollow inside and dead. The rest of the plant is thriving. Like I said I'm going to go through it like a surgeon and use neem oil on it again! I just wondered if anyone has seen this?

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
hey

one of only issues with them is rotting from too much water.
soil for bonsai and especially jades shouldnt be 'mostly dirt' because itll retain too much moisture.
the aka lava and pum mix sounds great for you. mix in a bit of compost into those other parts, im not into full non organic.

i use oildri (clay pellets for cleaning up oil spills from hardware store) perlite (white puffy rocks) and compost or potting soil for my mixture. 33/33/33%

over the counter stuff i use miracle grow orange bag cactus and succulents and add in perlite.

dont go pure dirt or potting soil for your repots

jades do well in that orange bag i mentioned, add in a third of Sand or perlite like i do to aid in drainage

they will love outside hot sun but they dont love days on end of downpour (florida)
and in MA i sometimes move those to under cover for prolonged rain

ramble over, good luck, Katie
I also use the Miracle-Gro Cactus Succulent soil for all of mine, they do fine.

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
Heres a selection Ive been growing,using cactus compost mix with plenty of grit.
From left to right Crassula tetragona, Crassula ovata minima and Crassula Gollum
I keep them indoors on a windowsill all winter and outdoors May to October, watering infrequently

Attachments

• IMG_2100.JPG
    IMG_2100.JPG
    151.8 KB · Views: 12

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Heres a selection Ive been growing,using cactus compost mix with plenty of grit.
From left to right Crassula tetragona, Crassula ovata minima and Crassula Gollum
I keep them indoors on a windowsill all winter and outdoors May to October, watering infrequently
Looking good with those

Top Bottom