Repot, ground grow, or hold steady?

MSU JBoots

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
84D8EAED-EAC5-4168-8167-0DE7BF80A04A.jpeg
The title says most of it. I just picked up this lil guy from the state show. The soil doesn’t look very conducive to great root growth. I’m afraid to repot it into proper bonsai soil this late in spring. I also don’t know that it should stay in this soil. My gut tells me plant it in the ground for a few years and let it really take off. What would you do?

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd put it in a training box or a pond basket. Mine have grown very well in pond baskets.

MSU JBoots

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'd put it in a training box or a pond basket. Mine have grown very well in pond baskets.
Do you think it could handle a repot at this point in spring? Also I’ve looked at pond baskets and it seems they are mostly 10x10x6 inches. That’s seems too big for this little guy to me but I could be wrong.

MSU JBoots

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
E643BA44-3271-4F8D-B90F-4B1CA6901687.jpeg79971628-26FE-49BD-A058-1554965240BF.jpeg
Here’s a picture for scale and another better one of the current soil situation. No judging of the wiring, that was not done by me.

berzerkules

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do you think it could handle a repot at this point in spring? Also I’ve looked at pond baskets and it seems they are mostly 10x10x6 inches. That’s seems too big for this little guy to me but I could be wrong.
I just got a couple stacks of 5" and 6" round pond basket like containers for <$1 each at The Home Despot up here. Might be worth checking if they are available at your location and if not you can them here.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You should be able to pot it the first full moon after the solstice...likely, to the sound of leftover fireworks.

Why JBP?

My theory goes, if the fall is nice and progressive they can withstand, I think I registered it -18F that year.
But if winter comes fast, they can't build the necessary antifreeze and bite it.

I wouldn't really consider them without a safe unfrozen winter, safe for me doesn't include garages or enclosed spaces.

Not saying this to be disparaging, but so that one quick fall in 3 years doesn't make you think you did something wrong.

If I were to attempt to point you in the right direction....
It would be...
Dude go to Mugo.

Bonus points for beer pic.

Sorce

MSU JBoots

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You should be able to pot it the first full moon after the solstice...likely, to the sound of leftover fireworks.

Why JBP?

My theory goes, if the fall is nice and progressive they can withstand, I think I registered it -18F that year.
But if winter comes fast, they can't build the necessary antifreeze and bite it.

I wouldn't really consider them without a safe unfrozen winter, safe for me doesn't include garages or enclosed spaces.

Not saying this to be disparaging, but so that one quick fall in 3 years doesn't make you think you did something wrong.

If I were to attempt to point you in the right direction....
It would be...
Dude go to Mugo.

Bonus points for beer pic.

Sorce
I guess I’ll know if they can withstand my winter here in the next few years. I’ve seen a couple in the local show and really liked them. I know they guy who had one is the president of the local club so apparently he has a way to over winter it. However, I think he might do it in a detached garage that is temperature controlled.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I guess I’ll know if they can withstand my winter here in the next few years. I’ve seen a couple in the local show and really liked them. I know they guy who had one is the president of the local club so apparently he has a way to over winter it. However, I think he might do it in a detached garage that is temperature controlled.

Iffin you really get to falling in love with it, maybe that feller could help you winter it.

Your good time..... your better sanity...

Sorce

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
It's supposed to be cooler this coming week. Assuming you've got good aggregate soil available, I'd get a pond basket from home depot and repot now… It’s young and vigorous so I think you’ll be fine, but don’t cut any roots this time around. Shake a fair amount of the soil off, then pot it up. Next spring, you can re-pot again and do more meaningful root work at the same time. Jbp will overwinter just fine outside in 6a with good protection, or an unheated garage that's in the mid 30's F through the winter will work.

Good luck, and it was good to meet you yesterday!

Last edited:

MSU JBoots

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It's supposed to be cooler this coming week. Assuming you've got good aggregate soil available, I'd get a pond basket from home depot and repot now… It’s young and vigorous so I think you’ll be fine, but don’t cut any roots this time around. Shake a fair amount of the soil off, then pot it up. Next spring, you can re-pot again and do more meaningful root work at the same time. Jbp will overwinter just fine outside in 6a with good protection, or an unheated garage that's in the mid 30's F through the winter will work.

Good luck, and it was good to meet you yesterday!
Thanks. It was a pleasure meeting you as well. I’ll probably run and experiment this winter since I bought two. I’ll put one in the ground with mulch and one in my attached garage. I’ll just move it outside if it gets too warm in the garage certain days.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Candles appear to be just starting to extend and that's the usual stage I would be happy to repot and root prune pines down here but feel free to be more conservative if that's more comfortable for you.
Ground, colander or large pot are all viable ways to develop pines for bonsai. Each has advantages and each has drawbacks so none absolutely better than another.

MSU JBoots

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks everyone for their input. I know per usual the answer is “it depends”. I like the variety of opinions and it definitely lets me know if one option is NOT a good idea.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Good choice about testing out the ground vs pot overwintered in garage.

My bet, based solely upon my tests in Puget Sound, would be if the one in the ground can survive the winter in your microclimate, it’s growth will begin to outstrip the potted JPB late in the second or third year. Given good care. The other thing the grounded JBP’s did was all but one began to bud and push branches very low on the trunk.

By two years all but one of the half dozen JBP’s in the ground outstripped the growth of the ones in aerated nursery pots. (Poor man’s pond basket) although each set were very healthy. For some reason one of the grounded JBP’s became either the rabbits or dogs chew toy…or both. This year I decided to put all the potted JBP’s in the ground, except the very smallest.

Also I’m sure you might of considered this… putting each on-a tile, aka Randy Knight style.

Another tactic used around here….Some folks in Puget Sound actually plant ther JBP’s in colanders and then into the ground so it’s easy to pull them up and prune the roots.

Just some thoughts and information.

Best
DSD sends

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Another tactic used around here….Some folks in Puget Sound actually plant ther JBP’s in colanders and then into the ground so it’s easy to pull them up and prune the roots.
This is a great procedure and is my preferred method. I have dozens of different trees thus prepared.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hey @penumbra

Always curious to know more about this tactic…. what do you use for media in the colander…. PBD, PRD or something else??

… and the bed they are dug in

Cheers
DSD sends

PBD = Plain Black dirt
PRD = Plain Red dirt

Top Bottom