Repot question heat matt

Lolodigogo

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
So I was wondering if someone could give me there thoughts on using a heat Matt for newly reported plants. I’ve heard that you can get continuous root development in the winter using a heat matt, but would there be a benefit to using one on newly reported plants?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I know they are used be people in europe collecting trees in winter. Or actually, they use heated sandbeds on which they put the potted collected trees and get muh higher survival rates. Effectively the idea is that roots need a minimum temp to develop. If you have cold winters, heating the roots will help faster regrowth and thus recovery.

I owuld say this works with repotted trees too.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Absolutely a good thing but don't overdo it. Get a thermostat to control the temperature. All my mats are about 8 to 10 degress warmer than the plant room at night and just a few degrees daytime. I use them for all of my cuttings this time of year, and I have used them for small transplants which I don't encourage until a bit later in the season. Be aware that your pots will dry much faster so keep an eye on watering needs.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yes this is very much helpful to stimulate root growth. Heat mats are also used if you have a sick tree, warmth can be good for that too.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So I was wondering if someone could give me there thoughts on using a heat Matt for newly reported plants. I’ve heard that you can get continuous root development in the winter using a heat matt, but would there be a benefit to using one on newly reported plants?
Not sure what you're asking here. Using a heat mat on a dormant temperate zone tree iisn't a great thing to do.Heat mats promote root growth once dormancy requirements have been fulfilled and the tree is actively growing.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Using a heat mat on a dormant temperate zone tree iisn't a great thing to do
Good catch. I assumed he was talking about tropicals. Should never assume and OP should explain better his intents.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would say, repotting a dormant temperate tree and using bottom heat to band-aid it isn't a great thing to do.

But a tree that has been allowed to go dormant can be kept warm in the roots to benefit.

Sorce

Top Bottom