Repot Scots this year?

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I've been holding off and wary since this poor tree has been through so much.
After 2 years of recovery in the Anderson flat, it is pretty feisty this year.
It was decandled last year. I feel that was a big mistake. (I didn't do it)
I think I will take NO candles off this year.
Take a look at the inset of the bud profusion and tell me what you think. It has been deprived of new needles for a year.
About the repot. Okay at this time?
Thanks.

:)

scots.JPG

scots buds.JPG

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I would leave it for now if the soil isn't causing issues. Next year it's not going to flinch. This year it might flinch a little.

It looks healthy though! But the lack of old needles can be a downside. I consider scots pretty versatile pines, they can take a beating. But with specimens like yours I wouldn't risk it and let it continue on this track for another year.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I would leave it for now if the soil isn't causing issues. Next year it's not going to flinch. This year it might flinch a little.

It looks healthy though! But the lack of old needles can be a downside. I consider scots pretty versatile pines, they can take a beating. But with specimens like yours I wouldn't risk it and let it continue on this track for another year.
Appreciate the info.... but.... I just.... lifted it
Holy crap! Other than being a heavy SOB, the soil was NOT what I want it in.
Soooooooo..... defying the odds, I prepped a VERY perforated plastic rectangular pot (foo on Andersons ;) ) and put it where it SHOULD have been.
I damn sure HOPE!

Pumice, lots of lava, BIG akadama but not a pile of it. If this shit doesn't drain, I'll give this tree to a street bum.
A "token" of old soil to see the Mike Corrazi (mycorrhizae) which hasn't done so in the past but still has the "maybe" factor.

Will see what happens. That old soil pissed me off.
Kinda glad I looked.

Even though I ignored the good advice. 🧐

Reaction score
Draining is one thing, evaporation trough needles is the other one. Don't mess with it for at least 1 year. If the plastic pot is somewhat floppy, don't move it. With a very draining mix it is sometimes difficult to keep the right part of the rootmass damp. Sylvestris is strong so let's hope...

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Draining is one thing, evaporation trough needles is the other one. Don't mess with it for at least 1 year. If the plastic pot is somewhat floppy, don't move it. With a very draining mix it is sometimes difficult to keep the right part of the rootmass damp. Sylvestris is strong so let's hope...
I'm thinking the akadama can help keep the water from sloshing around between the pumice and lava rock chunks. Also, the damn thing is too heavy to move.
It will need one move in mid/late summer to give it more afternoon shade to keep this EUROPEAN bush from realizing some damn fool has put it in the California Central Valley. 🙃

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
So, where’s the picture?

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I think he means AFTER the repot....

I agree with Dirk. Do nothing to this tree except feed and water this year and see how it recovers.
Oh. Okay.
Phone pic with lousy color. Cloudy day after rain yesterday.

Almost TEXTBOOK "slip pot." Roots pretty much completely undisturbed. Candles elongating quite rapidly. NEW roots should find the way better soil much nicer to visit.
New pot has about same ventilation bottom as an Anderson flat. I think it will be happier. :)

repot.jpg

Top Bottom