Repot too aggressive and Front choice

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
Was given this acer palmatum last year. Was potted in bad nursery soil so had to repot today ( but late i believe)
Soil was sticky mud and roots were thing and long with little to no roots.

Screenshot_20210418-121900_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210418-121920_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20210418-121947_Gallery.jpg

Removed most thick roots and ones growing downward

Screenshot_20210418-122019_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210418-122046_Gallery.jpg
To many roots removed?

Last question is about the front of the tree:
This side has better lower branch placement with lower left and back branch yet weak trunk base
Screenshot_20210418-122111_Gallery.jpg
This side has better base but lower branches are in front, scar more visible, presume graft ?
Screenshot_20210418-122146_Gallery.jpg
And 2 other sides. Screenshot_20210418-122129_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20210418-122219_Gallery.jpg
Thanks for suggestions on front and how to better manage this tree

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210418-122019_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210418-122019_Gallery.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 24

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Will keep in the shade and will mist foliage for coming 2-3 weeks.

Last edited:

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I would have no problem with that root prune even though it is a fraction late with the leaves open.

Are you sure it is a maple? All maples have opposite leaf arrangement. I can't spot any branches that are exactly opposite on the branches or trunk but I can't see the new shoots where new leaves are growing.

Leaf and trunk look far more like Liquidamber which has alternate leaf arrangement and a distinctive smell when cut or when leaves are crushed.

Liquidamber is often confused with maple but care for both is very similar so ID does not matter so much.

JPM

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I would have no problem with that root prune even though it is a fraction late with the leaves open.

Are you sure it is a maple? All maples have opposite leaf arrangement. I can't spot any branches that are exactly opposite on the branches or trunk but I can't see the new shoots where new leaves are growing.

Leaf and trunk look far more like Liquidamber which has alternate leaf arrangement and a distinctive smell when cut or when leaves are crushed.

Liquidamber is often confused with maple but care for both is very similar so ID does not matter so much.
I was thinking the same thing liquidambar sweet gum. My liquid Amber’s just opened up in the leaves look exactly the same!

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
Not sure if its a maple or not honestly. Was given to me last autumn where leaves were already yellow. Previous owner said it should get velvet red.
Yes a bit late for repot but leaves just started opening. When I got it leaves were the size of my palm. I'm hoping they reduce to this size but thats very optimistic.
Checked buds and couldn't find opposite ones. Not too many buds hinestlynwhichni guess would be expected as tree was moved by previous owner from nursery soil to even worse soil in a bonsai pot. Soil was so bad I had to repot but ill leave it to recover for couple years without disturbing roots again or styling or pruning ? If indeed a liquid Amber, any specific tips or things to watch out for ? Do they make good bonsais?

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
Remember the leaves had a smell, an Amber smell if i remember correctly when rubbed.

Gaitano

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Mine does not like to get pruned/wired while dormant. I noticed some branch dieback after doing this. I ground grew mine (a volunteer) for several years and didn’t completely remove all the soil when I first potted it. I had to do a pretty good clean out this year. It leafed out bratty good and back buds well. All over. The bark got pretty craggy rather quickly.
00712008-41E1-4A4B-A723-D5868C2DFCE4.jpegA130079A-57EC-416E-9124-24FE038DBF73.jpegB80BBB45-4F96-456D-8A13-001329BAB3E8.jpegEFA46EAA-1750-4A78-9C3B-4785AE5FCF73.jpeg

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Liquidamber make good bonsai. Hardier than most maples but larger leaves than the maples commonly used for bonsai so it is shunned a little by many. Leaves do reduce a lot with good pruning and as ramification increases.
Fall color is better than maple in warmer climates which could be a win for you. Some species produce more yellows, some have strong reds and purple autumn leaf color. Color intensity is like most species and is stronger when days are warm, sunny and nights cold.
Care is similar to most maples. Ramification is easier to achieve because they don't have opposite buds so bar branches are not common meaning less thinning out redundant shoots.
Not sure which species I have here but I have not experienced the problems that @Gaitano has mentioned but whether that is related to species, climate or just luck I am not sure.

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. Hoping it'll recover fine from the root prilune will let it rest for 1-2 years before I repot with correct front on a nicer glazed pot and take it from there.

Top Bottom