Repot?

HOVA

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
I’ve been researching bonsai for weeks and figured I just need to dive in and get going. I picked up a dwarf umbrella tree that a local has been growing quite a while and had a couple questions.

It appears to me it is due for repotting? It also seems this pot is maybe a bit too large? Would I use traditional bonsai soil for this tree? Appreciate the help!!!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
This species is very easy to grow, especially in your climate. Yes it does need to be repotted, but wait until night time temperatures are reliably above 60F all the time. They aren't picky about soil, any reasonable bonsai mix will work.

If you want the tree to stay roughly the current size, put it in the same size pot or a little smaller. If you want it to be larger with thicker trunks, put it in a larger pot. The tree doesn't look very vigorous, so you may want to simply re-pot into better soil and let it grow for a season. In warm, humid weather they will tolerate a lot of root work. This one needs it.

HOVA

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
This species is very easy to grow, especially in your climate. Yes it does need to be repotted, but wait until night time temperatures are reliably above 60F all the time. They aren't picky about soil, any reasonable bonsai mix will work.

If you want the tree to stay roughly the current size, put it in the same size pot or a little smaller. If you want it to be larger with thicker trunks, put it in a larger pot. The tree doesn't look very vigorous, so you may want to simply re-pot into better soil and let it grow for a season. In warm, humid weather they will tolerate a lot of root work. This one needs it.
I actually trimmed it back quite a bit. Below is a before pic. When you say larger pit do you mean in circumference? How much rootwork can I cut back on safely? The owner wasn’t fertilizing or anything so I hope it will have a very good season!

52835A3D-B452-47A8-BA1F-DE4C1AD94A88.jpeg

061E2C31-ED74-4951-BA37-3BCAB25F1B25.jpeg

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Yes, you have pruned it quite bit. How long ago did you do that?

If you pruned it recently, then re-pot when the weather is warm. Remove about 30% of the root mass, concentrating on the bottom. Reduce the sides of the root ball enough so that you can get about 1/2" of new soil all the way around the tree. It can go back in the same pot. As soon as it starts growing again, water and fertilize generously.

It should explode with growth, and maybe give you some back budding on the trunks. You may be able to prune it again (less drastically) in late summer.

HOVA

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Yes, you have pruned it quite bit. How long ago did you do that?

If you pruned it recently, then re-pot when the weather is warm. Remove about 30% of the root mass, concentrating on the bottom. Reduce the sides of the root ball enough so that you can get about 1/2" of new soil all the way around the tree. It can go back in the same pot. As soon as it starts growing again, water and fertilize generously.

It should explode with growth, and maybe give you some back budding on the trunks. You may be able to prune it again (less drastically) in late summer.
It was looking quite bushy. The soil that’s in there now is really compacted. When I water it just sits on top, even the smallest amount, until it finally starts to take it in. Seems like it’s just some regular old nursery mix. So I’m assuming I would want to get traditional bonsai mix and cover the bottom, sides and put some on top as well? Still looking for the best source of soil as well.

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It was looking quite bushy. The soil that’s in there now is really compacted. When I water it just sits on top, even the smallest amount, until it finally starts to take it in. Seems like it’s just some regular old nursery mix. So I’m assuming I would want to get traditional bonsai mix and cover the bottom, sides and put some on top as well? Still looking for the best source of soil as well.

Don't create problems...solve them.

Sure, the soil may be compacted, but you have a very tolerant species that is still looking healthy. It is also mostly dormant and temps are cooler = it's not using much water right now. I can get mine through the winter on very little water because they just aren't growing.

The best time for rootwork on these guys is during warmer weather when they are actively growing. They kick right in with new growth because the engine is already running!

That said, I have and do work on mine in the winter. That's when I'm most bored. BUT, mine are wintered inside under lights. I also don't care if I slow their development down for the year...which will happen with root work when they are resting. They may kick in new growth a little later and a little slower.

At the end of the day, don't talk yourself into the solution you want to hear. There is no "right" answer. There are only answers that minimizes negatives and accentuate positives: those is the answer you want to accept.

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It is important to correct the drainage. The soil looks like it has a lot of fine sand in it, almost like the natural soil in your area. Fine sand like this resists taking up water when it is very dry, but when finally wet it holds too much water and not enough oxygen. Eventually you will need to remove as much of the old soil as possible, but not at the first re-pot.

Don't agonize over the new soil. Almost anything with larger particles will work, about 1/8" in diameter. A cactus mix from a big box store would probably be okay. You likely will re-pot this tree every year for the first few years, so you don't need expensive bonsai soil right now.

You can probably tell I really like dwarf schefflera, LOL. I have five in various stages, the first one started as an over-grown house plant. They work as bonsai in only a few styles, mostly clump, multi-trunk, or banyan. Wire doesn't work well on them, so they are developed primarily by grow-and-clip. Here is a photo of one by Jim Smith at the Heathcote Botanical Gardens in Fort Pierce. The bonsai collection there is very good, and they are all species that grow well in your climate.
schefflera.jpg

SWfloirda

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
As Michael said I would wait until the lows don't get below 60 at night and repot. This is a video of me taking one of mine from nursery soil to bonsai substrate, the $45 for 5 gallons mix that Wigerts sells, I was fairly rough with it and the tree thrived afterwards and is still thriving. It is a much smaller tree but still the same idea. They actually grow epiphytically in the boot of palm trees here in zone 10a and can act like a strangler fig, very tough plants.

Top Bottom