• 20140508_201121.jpg
    20140508_201121.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 124

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Not a bad start with that one. If that root in the front crosses the trunk you will want to remove it eventually. I would wait though as azaleas, at least in my neck of the woods, don't take too kindly to repots. I have learned that when I repot I have to leave as much root as possible.

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Just did a workshop last night at my club with a guy from the Northern Virginia club who does some great stuff with azaleas. He recommended putting moist sphagnum moss on top of the soil to create more surface roots for just about every one he worked on. Also, most of the subjects had multiple trunks that he suggested reducing to the most likely single trunk. The surface roots work to increase the size of the base, as well as enable you to reduce the thickness of the rootball so that you can put it into a shorter pot when the time comes.
FWIW, I just repotted pretty much everything I own, which includes at least 4 azaleas, into mostly kanuma with some pumice, and they seem to love it. Vigorous foliage, budding, and the one so far that has bloomed has vibrant color.
Also, due to brittleness, he strongly recommended wiring branches with 1.2 to 1.5 mm aluminum wire when the branches were smaller than the lead in a pencil. Much bigger than that and they tend to snap.

Last edited:

readc

Yamadori
Reaction score
Not a bad start with that one. If that root in the front crosses the trunk you will want to remove it eventually. I would wait though as azaleas, at least in my neck of the woods, don't take too kindly to repots. I have learned that when I repot I have to leave as much root as possible.

You mention removing the crossing root...is this for appearance or does it hinder growth?

Thanks for the help!

readc

Yamadori
Reaction score
Just did a workshop last night at my club with a guy from the Northern Virginia club who does some great stuff with azaleas. He recommended putting moist sphagnum moss on top of the soil to create more surface roots for just about every one he worked on. Also, most of the subjects had multiple trunks that he suggested reducing to the most likely single trunk. The surface roots work to increase the size of the base, as well as enable you to reduce the thickness of the rootball so that you can put it into a shorter pot when the time comes.
FWIW, I just repotted pretty much everything I own, which includes at least 4 azaleas, into mostly kanuma with some pumice, and they seem to love it. Vigorous foliage, budding, and the one so far that has bloomed has vibrant color.
Also, due to brittleness, he strongly recommended wiring branches with 1.2 to 1.5 mm aluminum wire when the branches were smaller than the lead in a pencil. Much bigger than that and they tend to snap.

This one has been potted in 2:1 akadama:fine pine bark...I added some moss on top per your suggestion this morning. I have no idea how to get this guy to one trunk. It is techincally one trunk that then quickly peals off into 3. I would create pretty ugly wounds if i cut 2 of the 3 down to the base of the trunk...Definitely agree with the wiring concept...the branches really do get brittle quickly.

readc

Yamadori
Reaction score
Dead?

Not sure if this will get any responses, but if you look at the picture of the repotted azalea, it still looks pretty much the exact same. No new buds, nothing at all. It has been 2 months now since repotting...is it dead? I have it in akadama and pumice with some pine park mixed in...i water when it needs it, nearly daily and have it in an area with morning sun, afternoon shade...thanks, C

Replikant

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
If it is an consolation, I repotted one of my azaleas about 1 month ago .. knowing that I was doing this a little late. It took 4 weeks but finally 2 buds have appeared. And, mine was chopped back to 2 trunks like yours with no growth left on it at the time of repotting.... going for shohin .... down here at least they do not like being repotted this time of year and the root growth and back budding take 3 times as long in this heat. Don't give up .... I almost did ... let it sit for a few more weeks. Just keep soil moist, etc.

Good luck,

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I believe you did cut it back a bit late. When cutting back azaleas that hard you should wait until they are dormant. I cut one back like you did in February and it took 3 months for buds to show. I learned this from a very experienced Azalea grower. Just keep it watered and give it some time before you throw in the towel.

Also, those cuts need to be sealed. PRONTO!

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This is the one I'm talking about.

Attachments

• DSCF1767.jpg
    DSCF1767.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 32
  • DSCF1795.jpg
    DSCF1795.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 33

johng

Omono
Reaction score
If it is an consolation, I repotted one of my azaleas about 1 month ago .. knowing that I was doing this a little late. It took 4 weeks but finally 2 buds have appeared. And, mine was chopped back to 2 trunks like yours with no growth left on it at the time of repotting.... going for shohin .... down here at least they do not like being repotted this time of year and the root growth and back budding take 3 times as long in this heat. Don't give up .... I almost did ... let it sit for a few more weeks. Just keep soil moist, etc.

Good luck,

I am confused...did you just pm me today about doing this again after having this experience?? 2 buds is not good...you should have 50-100?

Here are some pics that show some of the 40 azaleas that I cut back to just trunks in late May and early June...from 4 to 6 weeks ago....not a single leaf after cut back...now many are ready, or have had, their first pruning.

IMAGE_6.jpg

IMAGE_7.jpg

I have two suspicions...
First, I have to wonder how much root work was done on both the azaleas brought up in this thread? Assuming you started with a pot filled with the typical azalea fine root mass...and not newly up-potted nursery material (still loose in the pot). I find that there is little need to do more than saw off the bottom portion of the root mass to leave at least close to the depth necessary for a future bonsai container. Then lightly comb and tease out the sides and bottom of the root mass. Pot-up...insuring that there is good contact between the new soil and the root mass.

2. Aftercare...Shade and sun are always very subjective factors...I did cook a few of these very early on...while recovering from any drastic pruning, and particularly drastic pruning combined with heavy root pruning, any full sun, morning or afternoon could potentially be too much...especially in the South. Filtered shade would describe the environment in which I get my best results. Once the buds have appeared and begin to grow, I move to limited direct sun and gradually end up in full morning sun...all my azaleas are shaded in the afternoon.

I am surprised by both of your results...perhaps this info will help if you try again.

John

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have two suspicions...
First, I have to wonder how much root work was done on both the azaleas brought up in this thread? Assuming you started with a pot filled with the typical azalea fine root mass...and not newly up-potted nursery material (still loose in the pot). I find that there is little need to do more than saw off the bottom portion of the root mass to leave at least close to the depth necessary for a future bonsai container. Then lightly comb and tease out the sides and bottom of the root mass. Pot-up...insuring that there is good contact between the new soil and the root mass.

2. Aftercare...Shade and sun are always very subjective factors...I did cook a few of these very early on...while recovering from any drastic pruning, and particularly drastic pruning combined with heavy root pruning, any full sun, morning or afternoon could potentially be too much...especially in the South. Filtered shade would describe the environment in which I get my best results. Once the buds have appeared and begin to grow, I move to limited direct sun and gradually end up in full morning sun...all my azaleas are shaded in the afternoon.

I am surprised by both of your results...perhaps this info will help if you try again.

John

John,

If you're speaking of mine then yes I did exactly as you explained with one exception. I cut three equally spaced pie shaped sections out of the root ball. Everything else, word for word. I didn't post a current photo (because I don't have one) but I now have lots of growth. However, I believe I lost a couple branches. My plan is to regroup in January and cut some of the deadwood off, maybe. My other 10 or so azaleas I have I'm taking a much different approach with. But, this isn't my thread so I'll bail out gracefully. Thanks.

johng

Omono
Reaction score
John,

If you're speaking of mine then yes I did exactly as you explained with one exception. I cut three equally spaced pie shaped sections out of the root ball. Everything else, word for word. I didn't post a current photo (because I don't have one) but I now have lots of growth. However, I believe I lost a couple branches. My plan is to regroup in January and cut some of the deadwood off, maybe. My other 10 or so azaleas I have I'm taking a much different approach with. But, this isn't my thread so I'll bail out gracefully. Thanks.

Sorry Vin, I was unclear...I was not referring to you...the OP and replikant.

Replikant

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Sorry for the confusion ... no the azalea I mentioned in this thread was a run of the mill nursery azalea I picked up 1-2 months ago ... trunked chopped n root chopped hoping for better results .... the one I pm'd you about is a brand new satsuki that I am MUCH more hesitant about and want to follow more the set up you have been doing with yours and will wait till the spring to root prune ... just trying to give him a glimmer of hope that his might not be dead since I have one I almost wrote off and now has a measly 2 buds ... FINALLY. But, yes it isn't healthy by any means lol

Replikant

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
The only difference that I can think of for the azalea that only has 2 buds after 3-4 weeks is that I did saw away 3/4's of the root mass but then I removed most of the original soil, washed and repotted in a 75% aggregate/25% organic mix for the acid. I did not leave the roots in their original nursery soil after the heavy root prune ... maybe that was the shock that set it back?? dunno

readc

Yamadori
Reaction score
Sorry Vin, I was unclear...I was not referring to you...the OP and replikant.

I did both #1 and #2 as you have mentioned. The root ball was cut in half and trimmed out thoroughly, then repotted in the soil i mentioned and placed into shade. It gets a little early morning sun, and then shade the rest of the day.

readc

Yamadori
Reaction score
I believe you did cut it back a bit late. When cutting back azaleas that hard you should wait until they are dormant. I cut one back like you did in February and it took 3 months for buds to show. I learned this from a very experienced Azalea grower. Just keep it watered and give it some time before you throw in the towel.

Also, those cuts need to be sealed. PRONTO!

I haven't sealed the cuts and they just hardened off. I dont see anything unusual with the cuttings which would indicate that sealing would be required at this point?

readc

Yamadori
Reaction score
This is the one I'm talking about.

this is exactly how mine looked, albeit less leaves. This plant was in the ground and was being annihilated by deers, so I dug it up. I think it has had a rough history trying to energize itself with very few leaves due to the deer. I will keep it water and hope that it pulls through eventually, nothing to lose.

Top Bottom