Repotted my Green Island Shohin

Bingobango21

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I repotted my Green Island Shohin. I did not prune the roots much besides to help it sit in the pot better. So far new leaves are opening already. Kinda like the back better but you can’t see the trunk lol !

Attachments

• 214233EA-B187-4E7C-A94A-15E5B915022E.jpeg
    214233EA-B187-4E7C-A94A-15E5B915022E.jpeg
    106.6 KB · Views: 52
  • 31C717C6-A565-4E23-B940-4DD4D0674B26.jpeg
    31C717C6-A565-4E23-B940-4DD4D0674B26.jpeg
    139 KB · Views: 48

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Looks good and its good that the leaves are opening.
However repotting for tropicals is usually better later in the year when it is warmer.
This time of year, even if they are inside a warm house, growth slows down.
I repot my tropicals at the end of June-beginning of July here in NY

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
However repotting for tropicals is usually better later in the year when it is warmer.
good to know. do you know if this applies to a fruiting fig tree? im in MA/RI

OP, thats a nice looking lil tree, i think.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
good to know. do you know if this applies to a fruiting fig tree? im in MA/RI

OP, thats a nice looking lil tree, i think.

Is it a tropical? You say "fig" so I assume its a ficus?
If so then Id say yes

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Is it a tropical? You say "fig" so I assume its a ficus?
If so then Id say yes
they are ficus technically, i think.

but im referring to a fruiting fig tree thats been overwintered in a garage.
maybe since they are pretty cold tolerant and its going to awaken soon i will repot it in the next month or so as opposed to my bougainvillea, succulent bonsai, etc.

thanks.

also, OP, i see what you mean with the back angle of that tree; has an appeal. conundrum (but not a big deal)

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

maybe since they are pretty cold tolerant and its going to awaken soon i will repot it in the next month or so as opposed to my bougainvillea, succulent bonsai, etc.

thanks.

also, OP, i see what you mean with the back angle of that tree; has an appeal. conundrum (but not a big deal)

I am not familiar with what you mean by a "fruiting fig". If it is a true ficus and therefore tropical, I would repot in early summer as above.
However since you are overwintering it in the garage, it implies that it might not be tropical? Do you have the species name for it?

Maybe post a new thread about your tree so we dont continue to derail this thread about this tree. @ my name so I see it.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

thanks.

Ficus carica?

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

If its this I would follow the care guide suggested

With other ficus we dont overwinter them in a garage. Ficus carica might be different but I am not familiar with them.

Bingobango21

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks for your response. I agree and know it’s not the ideal time for repotting. It was in a really small nursery pot with poor soil and insects so I wanted to get it out there ASAP. I know it was a risk but the tree looks much happier so far since repotting, I tired to stress the tree as little as possible during the repot, just wanted to give it more room and better soil for the growing season. All my tropicals are growing like crazy at the moment, especially my BRT

Bingobango21

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

thanks.

My understanding is that all figs are ficus but not all ficus are figs lol. Basically they are from the same family and both share traits like the white milky latex sap. Green island fig/ ficus is a variety of ficus microcarpa that also happens to fruit figs but they are much smaller and not cultivated for human consumption like the figs you are talking about. I do have a good amount experience with the figs you are talking about, they are much more cold hardy as they are from the Mediterranean I believe but I still think you should wait a bit to repot or maybe try slip potting, either way it will grow like crazy once it gets warm!

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
My understanding is that all figs are ficus but not all ficus are figs lol. Basically they are from the same family and both share traits like the white milky latex sap. Green island fig/ ficus is a variety of ficus microcarpa that also happens to fruit figs but they are much smaller and not cultivated for human consumption like the figs you are talking about. I do have a good amount experience with the figs you are talking about, they are much more cold hardy as they are from the Mediterranean I believe but I still think you should wait a bit to repot or maybe try slip potting, either way it will grow like crazy once it gets warm!
fantastic info, thanks, and welcome to the site

Top Bottom