Repotted my literati-ish boxwood

Joe Dupre'

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I got this boxwood from the roadside a little over a year ago after a tip from one of my friends. It had a decent root ball, several high branches with sparse foliage. I put it in a big tub and fed it heavily. I kept thinking about a design for it, but it was just too sparse down low for anything but a 20 year wait. I spent a few days doing the old towel trick......... covering up branches with a towel to let my eye concentrate on just what was exposed. This is what I came up with. I only had to cut 15-20% of the roots to get it into my homemade concrete

Notice the green grass, green leaves on the little elm to the right and a pretty healty bougainvillea to the left. Gotta love South Louisiana in mid January!

unnamed (72).jpg

Joe Dupre'

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I love the gnarly trunk, top needs styling.
The top definitely needs styling. It's a 3-5 year plan instead of the 20 year plan it originally would have been. It's only a year from unceremoniously being yanked out of the previous owner's front yard with a chain pulled by an 18 wheeler. True story. Still has chain scars on it. You can't buy that kind of story. :D

While not up to show standards, it still will have an honored place in my garden where I'll admire it every time I walk through.