Repotted My P. Afra, Follow up advice needed

Bingobango21

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hello All,

I recently repotted my most mature P. Afra. The soil it came in was drying too quick and made it difficult to gauge moisture. So I repotted it using my bonsai blend which includes akadama, pumice, lava rock, and pine bark.

The tree seems to be doing well for the most part but since I noticed a few leaves yellowing and wrinkling and falling off. Meanwhile other ones are green and wrinkled indicating they need water but I am not sure if I was overwatering previously or if the tree is stressed due to repot . I held off on water for a week since I did some mild root pruning but it gave it a bit of water yesterday as more leaves became wrinkled.

Any thoughts ? the roots showed no sign of rot and tree is 90% healthy still hit I have noticed a bit of change. Thanks

Attachments

• 2C3CCFA9-DAEE-4D1B-8210-73D9C7853C98.jpeg
    2C3CCFA9-DAEE-4D1B-8210-73D9C7853C98.jpeg
    214.4 KB · Views: 51

Snorlax99

Yamadori
Reaction score
I usually leave my P Afra unwatered and in the shade after a repot, until I see some new growth. It works for me but I'm a beginner so take it from whence it comes.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
It looks fine to me. With mine, if the leaves are wrinkly, they need a drink.

Bingobango21

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks, I gave it some water yesterday, I am going to see how it is looking when I get home from work, if they are still wrinkled, I think I will give it more water once the soil dries out but it looked like it was drying pretty nicely when I left this morning.

Bingobango21

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I usually leave my P Afra unwatered and in the shade after a repot, until I see some new growth. It works for me but I'm a beginner so take it from whence it comes.
I have it in bright light but not really any strong direct light so it should be ok. It was nice a sunny when I snapped the pic but that is the strongest light its seen since the repot.

Snorlax99

Yamadori
Reaction score
They're largely idiot proof(says this particular idiot).

They are hard to kill and are very transparent about what is wrong.

Leaves mostly very thin and light green: too much water.

Leaves mostly wrinkly and falling:
Too much water.

Yours looks fine to me, but if you're worried that it isn't pushing roots,let it dry out for a few days.

Bingobango21

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
They're largely idiot proof(says this particular idiot).

They are hard to kill and are very transparent about what is wrong.

Leaves mostly very thin and light green: too much water.

Leaves mostly wrinkly and falling:
Too much water.

Yours looks fine to me, but if you're worried that it isn't pushing roots,let it dry out for a few days.
I am more worried by some of the thick wrinkly, yellow leaves falling off. There is not a ton but idk if is stress since temps have been up and down here, or the repotting as well. Then some of the leaves are green and wrinkled so idk if is thirsty or stressed. So just hoping somebody can speak from experience. I am not worried about the tree dying, just don't want it to decline. it looks great currently !

IsaM

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Had similar experience with my PA after a repot, although I had repotted it almost immediately after I bought it (when it went through a change in location and therefore light/temp conditions). Every single leaf fell off but has since put out a load of new growth and is back to full health!

Bingobango21

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Had similar experience with my PA after a repot, although I had repotted it almost immediately after I bought it (when it went through a change in location and therefore light/temp conditions). Every single leaf fell off but has since put out a load of new growth and is back to full health!
Got ya. I hope the same does not happen for me. I waited about a month to repot, only did because I did not like the coarse soil it was in, and also wanted to peep the health of the ro
I attached some close ups of some the wrinkling both yellow and green

Attachments

• 9D500378-08FC-4C35-9594-5BD911987DAD.jpeg
    9D500378-08FC-4C35-9594-5BD911987DAD.jpeg
    133.4 KB · Views: 26
  • CB1390A5-6C51-44C3-B2C0-D16BCDBED400.jpeg
    CB1390A5-6C51-44C3-B2C0-D16BCDBED400.jpeg
    180.5 KB · Views: 27
Top Bottom