Repotted my zelkova shohin today

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hey cool pot, hard to tell, is the color cream or grey? It looks thinner than the old pot, just wondering how much thinner. A really good shohin, the separation of the trunks is very nice. Was there some carving done to achieve that separation?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It's a grey pot.

The shape makes it look thinner than the old pot, but it's about the same depth. Frankly, it's a little darker than I would like, but I'll give it a try.

No carving.

twigwig

Seedling
Reaction score
I think your little tree is wonderful. Looks great!

twigwig

Seedling
Reaction score
Great work! How long do you expect for the new leaves to come in? I have a new zelkova (new to me species) and was interested in their growth rate. I have plenty of chinese elms and they seem pretty equivalent, maybe the scale tips more in favor of the Chinese to grow a bit faster.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'm not sure I understand "how long do I expect the leaves to come in".

I defoliated about a week ago. I cut virtually every old leaf off. I take great pains not to damage the dormant bud at the base of every leaf.

The new twigs each have three or four tiny leaves right now. When they get to 6 or 8, I will cut them back to two. That will further stimulate more back budding since sunlight will continue to be able to get inside the canopy.

twigwig

Seedling
Reaction score
Sorry I just reread my response and it was confusing.
I just meant, after you defoliate how long do you expect those dormant buds to pop?

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Great work! How long do you expect for the new leaves to come in? I have a new zelkova (new to me species) and was interested in their growth rate. I have plenty of chinese elms and they seem pretty equivalent, maybe the scale tips more in favor of the Chinese to grow a bit faster.
Zelkova is right along with the Chinese elm in terms of growth rate.I took cuttings first day of summer last year and a year later they are approaching almost six feet with hardly any fertilizer this season as they are in the ground.

AboveBeyond

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
A very nice tree Adair. What are the dimensions of the tree (height, trunk size)?

Top Bottom