Repotted pine out of season....

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Yes, it's the wrong season. I may have posted this scrawny tree once before. Rescued it (somewhat) in 100% pumice in pond basket.

It did NOTHING! Well, it did live for several years doing nothing. I have no idea what species it might be. I've been told JBP and Mugo.
Doesn't look mugo-ish to me. 🤔

Reason I did it is to see if it likes more room to do more nothing. 😆
I am somewhat hoping that it will do ....something.
It has remained essentially the scrawny thing you see in the picture. Got it in 2013. Long time to do nothing.
I suppose it would be considered an up-pot as the good looking roots were not cut. They fitted in that too-large pot just swell.

I have it in sun and under an eave so it won't get frozen.... EVER. I dont think we will even have a winter.

Why am I posting it? I suppose because I don't much give a damn if it will just do SOMETHING!

tree.jpg

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Heavy fertilizing for a couple years?

That's the plan.
It's going to stay in that monster pot til it does something.

No decandling, pruning, repotting, nuttin. Till I see roots jumping out.

The pond basket was packed with roots. Even escaping out the bottom.
What the hell were they doing?

Pinus Anorexia

:mad:

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Agree with Wulfskaar, if it's in completely inorganic medium and not growing, probably needs some fertilizer.

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Fertilizer won't magically make a tree grow. There is something else going on. My guess is that there is a problem with the roots. If it is still warm there I would take it out of it's pot and look at the roots. Also, planting pines in big pots is usually the wrong thing to do. They are much happier (and healthier) with just a little room. Especially older trees. 1 to 2 inches (max) between the outside edge of the root ball and the inside edge of the pot. I was given a tree that had not been repotted for 40 years. It did nothing for most of the time. The reason... each year some roots grew and each year some roots died. The roots where basically in dust when dry and mud when wet. Result - no progress at all. Make sure there is no compacted, sour soil under the trunk and main roots. If there is, remove it and pot the tree back in a smaller pot. Half that size. Sometimes trees are planted in a nice open mix with the root ball still in the original fine mix. That will make the interior of the root ball to stay wetter than the rest of the mix. Roots are then often too weak from a lack of oxygen to move out into the new mix and the tree does nothing or slowly gets worse.
Put in some healthy mycorrhizae if there isn't any present. I don't know if this is your problem but pouring on fertilizer won't help much because it does not seem to be lacking N (dark green leaves)
It's ok to pot pines in autumn in mild climates.

Last edited:

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
LIVE OR DIE, YOU SCRAWNY SUCKER! THIS IS ALL YOU'RE GITTIN'!

The roots looked perfect. The pumice wasn't compacted. This is a DEVIL TREE!!!

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
and for some reason, the forum won't do emojis on Android!
Grrrrrrr!

Top Bottom