Repotting a Bonsai bought from store

Reaction score
I am planning to grow a Ficus Ginseng indoors in Sweden, Stockholm that I will buy from a local plant store. I have bought all the necessary equipment like tools, draining pot, acadama soil as well as a high lumen plant light.
Right now we have just entered winter season but since it is indoors and I have a grow light, is it possible to repot the tree as soon as I buy it from the store or is it better to wait until spring?
I assume the reason why repotting in different seasons matters is because of humidity, temperature and sunlight which shouldnt be an issue in my situation or am I wrong? The tree I am planning to buy is young, about 5 years.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You could wait till spring, or take advantage of the "change in environment" it will see, and Repot it straight away.

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Reaction score
Okay, you dont think it could hurt the tree? Maybe there is always the risk...

Thanks for quick reply!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I do my tropical in summer during their active growing period. Mine grow through winter under grow lights. But nothing like when outside. Is your intentions of it remaining indoors? I'm always for one acclimating into its environment before doing any sort of repot. I myself would allow it to acclimate before a repot. But...I don't take chances...I prefer stacking the deck in my favor for a successful journey in our hobby.

A timer for your light...allowing 18 hours of light time...will make for a much happier tree.

Reaction score
I would too but unfortunately I only get mild afternoon sun in the summer on my balcony, its probably best to keep it indoors. I think I will try buying a tree and repotting now since they are pretty cheap, around 80 SEK = 10 USD, although would be sad if it dies. I will give it extra good care with the timer i have bought for the growlight :)

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
My afternoon sun bench...my sun loving trees go on. Its a hotter sun here in NE Ohio. (USA) Morning sun for those less tolerant of the heat of the day.

Jerry Meislik keeps his tropical inside 24/7...so I won't say it can't be done. Even in Florida they aren't repotting now. Trees slow in winter. Even in the warmer climates.

Not a huge loss money wise I agree...I suggest get two. Repot one now as you intend...and repot the other come summer and see which does better. It would help you understand your environment and how they react.

Understand forced heat...makes for a dyer environment indoors. A fan for ventilation and a humidifier may also help your trees be happier.

Wish you the best...enjoy your journey.

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Also, repotting is done for a reason. Just having bought it, is not a good reason for repotting.

Depends on where you bought it from...

I ALWAYS try to repot as soon as I can after purchase. It's helped me dodge so many pest/poor soil problems I always find it worth it. If the season is too risky to repot that species, I don't buy that species.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Depends on where you bought it from...

I ALWAYS try to repot as soon as I can after purchase. It's helped me dodge so many pest/poor soil problems I always find it worth it. If the season is too risky to repot that species, I don't buy that species.
You need to find better sources if the trees you buy all need repotted upon purchase. Acclimating a tree is something that benefits the tree.

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You need to find better sources if the trees you buy all need repotted upon purchase. Acclimating a tree is something that benefits the tree.
Probably...but I like to know what I'm dealing with and a repot is the best way to see under the soil. It's also a good chance to give new plants a detailed once over. It works for me...which is really all I care about ;)

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Probably...but I like to know what I'm dealing with and a repot is the best way to see under the soil. It's also a good chance to give new plants a detailed once over. It works for me...which is really all I care about ;)
I agree that often rootwork is needed. But deciding to repot, even before a purchase is made..

If I were in Sweden, had no experience and bought a ficus in the middle of winter, I would hope someone would tell me that repotting is not step one. Most of the plants you buy, have been grown in the container you buy them in. Exception maybe the crap coming by millions out of china. So they will live another 6 months in the pot. Then better wait for spring, for sunshine and light. In spring consider what needs to be done.

But .. It depends on what is being bought and the state it is in.

sprae28

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes it does matter where you bought it from. In my experience there are retailers out there that sell plants in the smallest pot possible for shipping purposes. Also they would sell it with intention of the purchaser not having the intent on giving it a long term investment and would want you to keep it in it's original pot for a while, kill it and them throw it away then go get another one. Does your pot have a drain hole? I have noticed that some pots that plants are sold in don't even have holes in them which would create an environment for root rot which then I would say repot asap.

Top Bottom