Repotting a hastily potted Mugo

cishepard

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A few weeks ago I grabbed a Mugo that was yanked out of the ground by someone relandscaping. It did not have much in the way of soil stuck to the roots, but I left what little was there. I debated putting it into the ground, but decided (perhaps wrongly) to pot it in this tub with many holes drilled into the bottom. I did not have enough bonsai mix on hand, so it is in about 60-70% potting soil with garanite grit, DE, baked kitty litter and pine bark.
i’m worried about it now. Ideally, I wish I had put it in a bigger grow box with 100% bonsai mix, but don’t know if I should just let it be, as is and undisturbed for a year or more to recouperate, repot it now into better substrate (or into the ground) or do something with it in Spring. What would be the best course of action?
Also, there may be another one coming when the landscapers get to the next section, so what would have been the best starting point for these, so I can prepare in advance?

0755BE61-54D6-4DFD-B3C7-93669510D844.jpeg

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Where do you live?

I personally wouldn't touch it until it shows signs of strength and recovery. Your soil mix, while not perfect, is still going to be fine for a year. If you move it now you will just stress it for only marginal benefit.

cishepard

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for your advice. I really appreciate it.
Updated to my profile to include location - PacNW, weather similar to Seattle, mostly stays above freezing with brief dips and small amounts of snow.I live right on the east coast of Vancouver Island. Mild winter and very protected yard. My other bonsai are in baskets in the ground and mulched. This one is close to the house and under a roof. Maybe too warm, and needs to be out in the weather? Was thinking to baby it this season.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
The weather around here is mild too, some frosts but usualy it's sweater weather.
10 deg. C during the day.
The mugos stay dormant, as long as they aren't moved half a continent from where they have grown for years. It's not just temperature but also daylength that plays a part in that. I guess it should be fine close to a house.
Babying mugo's can be the wrong approach though. I believe it's better to put them somewhere and forget about them for a season (apart from watering when needed).

cishepard

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks all! So for the one I am waiting for them to dig up and I can grab it - trim the roots to put in a smallish grow box with bonsai mix. Let them both sit for a year or two before trimming, wiring and re-potting?

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Sorry I missed this post, it was put up when I was not getting notifications. Anything after Christmas had been greased by Google and it slipped right through my browser's fingers. Your soil is fine for probably a couple of years during which time you should leave it alone. It is a nice tree worth the effort to do something with it. Water it when it gets dry but as the spring and summer advance keep the foliage misted to prevent transpiration. Only water the soil when it starts to dry out.

cishepard

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you, Vance. I appreciate all the advice!
I will post an update next year if it lives and play around with virtuals in the meantime : )

Top Bottom