Repotting advice

BPB

Seed
Reaction score
First bonsai, first post. Go easy.

I’m very familiar with forums and search functions but I can’t quite find direction specifically on how to begin here.

I consider myself a decent intermediate at growing outdoor terrestrial plants. I live in zone 8b. I was recently gifted one of the typical cheesy hardware store, bonsai. Portulacaria afra I believe. It came in a very small nursery pot, which sits inside of a heavier ceramic pot. The tree is not very large or developed, and I understand, growing it out for a couple years should be my primary objective.

I feel like the pot is too small and the soil holds on to water excessively for this tree species. Somebody please correct me if I am wrong. I have plenty of akadama, pumice, and lava rock to use but need guidance on how to proceed?

The tree is presently indoors on a southern facing window and gets bright filtered light several hours a day. I have had it for about one month should I put it in a slightly larger nursery pot to encourage it to grow? And if so, should I carefully rake out all of the potting soil and replace it with the inorganic mixture I have? Neither? Just not sure how to proceed. The tiny pot and soil seem to stay soggy for too long.

Any guidance in how to proceed getting it into something it can comfortably put some size on for the next few years while I research more and collect more specimens. Thanks!

1DDB4B41-B0AD-435D-8DE2-9D55D303EA8E.jpeg
74677FA5-81CE-44AE-88A6-7620D64C91CD.jpeg
248205ED-77B8-4315-818E-E8C01055C9FF.jpeg

dbonsaiw

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
My limited experience with P. Afra is you have to really try to kill them. It could use a repotting into better soil. As for when to do it, again it's hard to kill them so I'd probably just go for it now.

Reactions: BPB

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Cut off all of those leggy branches and you'll have a bunch of cuttings. They root super easy. I would also use a shallower pot and quick draining soil. Maybe wait until summer though for the repotting, when it can go outside.

Top Bottom