Repotting and fresh moss

Krone

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I the next couple of days i will (my first) repot my four small bonsai trees that are still in regular soil (were sold in it).
I am just wondering, if there is any reason why i shouldn't put (live) moss on the top of fresh soil?

Hyn Patty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Some people prefer not to because it can make your soil stay too wet. Others think it robs too much of the fertilizer and nutrients from the trees. Some like the clean look of nothing growing in the mix except the tree. I personally prefer a light top dressing of mosses and other micro plants because it looks good and helps keep the soil from washing out in our pounding and very frequent rains. But I also have to keep an eye out so the media doesn't stay too wet. If you are in a drier area, it may be useful to keep your mix from getting dried out as fast. If you are in too dry an area you may not be able to keep moss alive.

I would suggest if you use it, keep it off of the base of your tree and don't let it get thick. Pluck it out regularly if it does and only leave little bits to regrow. If possible choose species of moss that grow thin and short rather than in thick lumps. You'll want to be able to see your nebari, the base of the trunk, and any larger surface roots anyway. I'm personally not concerned about the moss taking up ferts and nutrients because if you are really concerned about it you can just add a little more.

As you can see, there is not an easy answer to this and you will get some people who swear by having it as your top dressing, and many others who swear not to allow it at all except for show display. Really you are going to have to decide what you prefer and more importantly, what your trees and environment dictate. And it may vary from tree to tree! One may do better with the moss because it likes to stay wetter and another may really struggle because it needs all the air and drainage it can get. For me, where I live, there is NO STOPPING the moss. Moss and lichens are everywhere up here and will grow on anything that doesn't keep moving fast enough. So I go ahead and add it and keep it thinned out regularly. I basically live in a rain forest up on a mountain. Your growing culture will vary greatly from mine.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Yes, there are many reasons.
But most important: you want to watch your soil if this is your first repot. This allows you to develop a feel for how fast it dries and needs water again. Second, it's springtime; you don't want to attract birds looking for nesting material, and ruining your freshly dressed roots and top soil.

In a few years/repots, do whatever you feel like. Right now the aim should be learning how your soil responds for a year. I had to keep mine moss free for 2 years before I kind of felt OK about my soil characteristics.

But still, I lost 2 square feet of sphagnum in a single day due to birds plucking it from my pots.

Krone

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Great. Thanks for all the info!
What about fertilizing? Do solid (pellets) fertiliser reach the soil through the moss?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Actually, depending on the tree and the pot, I'll apply a thin layer of milled sphagnum moss to the soil surface as I don't want roots just below the surface to dry out. Most of the trees I do this too will be deciduous and planted in fairly shallow containers, but I will do this on occasion with pines, junipers and broad leaf evergreens...
And yes, fertilizers will get through the moss to the tree... but the moss won't like it.

Krone

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I was having in mind regular, live moss from forest, for instance

Top Bottom