Repotting and pruning tropicals at the same time?

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
A number of my tropicals (ficus, schefflera, natal plum) need to be re-potted this year with extensive root work. I also want to do some serious pruning. Should I:

1. Re-pot and prune at the same time?
2. Re-pot first, then prune after recovery?
3. Prune first, then re-pot after recovery?
4. Pick one but don't do both in the same year?

All the trees are in good health and in the refinement stage.

Thank you!

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
natal plum) need to be re-potted this year with extensive root work.
I would be a little cautious taking too much of the roots on the Natal Plum.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I prefer to repot first, then prune after it’s had a chance to recover a bit.

Seems like having robust foliage helps speed up the recovery from the repot.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I grow ficus and schefflera and any of the first 3 options work well and I haven't experienced much difference between those different approaches.
Third option seems to have arisen from conifers and possibly from colder regions. I have not found it necessary to only do one thing in a year with tropicals or with most sp where I live.

Note that different ficus sp have different tolerance to both root prune and pruning so knowing what sp you have can help guide how extreme to go.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I do it by feel. It is a balancing act after all. If you take too much roots and the foliage doesn't get enough water, the tree suffers. The reverse is also true, if you take too much foliage, it is like a big chop and the tree has to use whatever reserve it has to rebuild the foliage. My rule of thumb is to maintain the ratio in mass between roots and foliage and to follow the pattern of recovery for the species. Some species do not recover well from extensive root pruning.

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Thanks everyone! I was leaning toward repot first and prune after recovery. Carol, the natal plum needs the least root work, so that is good to know. Shibui, the Ficus are salicaria, microcarpa, and microcarpa 'Green Island'. I've had all these trees for a long time. By odd coincidence, this is the first year I have wanted to do both tasks in the same summer on so many.

Darkjellyfish

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Following my master’s instructions: Defoliation, structural pruning, root pruning and repotting all at the same time. The trees would dehydrate too much in our climate if there are too many leaves. I have tried repotting first and that killed lots of trees for me..

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
A follow-up: all the trees have been repotted with root pruning. They are resting in the shade for two weeks and will be put back in the sun at the middle of the month. We are experiencing record breaking heat and high humidity. So far they all look great and are actively growing. Thanks for the advice!

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
A follow-up: all the trees have been repotted with root pruning. They are resting in the shade for two weeks and will be put back in the sun at the middle of the month. We are experiencing record breaking heat and high humidity. So far they all look great and are actively growing. Thanks for the advice!
Yeah I think we're in for a HOT summer.

Gatorade

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
hey Nuts!
does anyone know how stress tolerant green island ficus are?Just acquired this tree and I want to repot and do big chops at the same time? I know there some mixed answers on here. What a surprise. 🤣 just want to know about green island in particular or are all ficus relatively the same? I know in Florida it would probably be fine just not sure about here in TX. Just dont Want to kill of stress out tree to much. So maybe better to be patient? but I want to chop!!! Lol bonsai dilemma!

oh yea I would definitely try and root them cuttings too!

Attachments

• 3973ABFC-D78E-48D3-9415-8830A50B8E4F.jpeg
    3973ABFC-D78E-48D3-9415-8830A50B8E4F.jpeg
    214.8 KB · Views: 69

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In your climate you should be fine. I up 2 zones and have much less season left. I am trying to wrap up work on my tropicals at this stage. I started on them the end of June. My Green Island ficus didn't skip a beat on the pruning and re-potting. My cuttings aren't doing much though.

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
hey Nuts!
does anyone know how stress tolerant green island ficus are?Just acquired this tree and I want to repot and do big chops at the same time? I know there some mixed answers on here. What a surprise. 🤣 just want to know about green island in particular or are all ficus relatively the same? I know in Florida it would probably be fine just not sure about here in TX. Just dont Want to kill of stress out tree to much. So maybe better to be patient? but I want to chop!!! Lol bonsai dilemma!

You should be fine! We have rain coming in and a few days of cooler weather (well cool for us being in low 90s, high 80s). The topicals will appreciate the humidity.
Also, I sat right next to you at the auction. Nice to see another local member here! Good luck with it, it’s a nice tree.

- Caleb

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
If all the predictions of cooler wetter weather come true, your Green Island should be fine with work this time of year. Last week I would not have said that, LOL. In my experience Green Island is almost as bullet-proof as its parent species, Ficus microcarpa.

michaelj

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
hey Nuts!

They are very resilient. Cuttings will root quickly if you strike them now. I repot and chop at the same time with that species, and the only time I ever lost one was when it fell off my bench and didn't get watered for a month.

Gatorade

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Good evening Nuts!

I went in tools a blazing for the chops and repot last night! It kinda gets my blood pumping 😂. Anyone else?

Went in with a few ideas but things happen. I changed The front. Is it for the better worse? That’s for you to decide but, I’m kinda digging It. Accidentally broke that low branch off when I was bending it around trying to see what I could do with it. Ops! Oh well got another cutting now, but maybe it was for the best. Need a new back branch now. Also debated sawing that huge root trunk thing off on the new back but decided to wait on it. Wanted to fit it in a smaller rectangle pot but that root is so big it did not fit. So gotta a while and think on that one. Any suggestions for the tree are welcome And appreciated.

Really going for that banyan style and hopefully can grow a nice low interesting canopy with aerial roots raining down. Also got about 17 cuttings and some are pretty thick! Hope everything lives!!

So what y’all nuts think am I on the right track or did I screw it up? Be honest not going to hurt my feeling I’m learning here!

pics of before and after as well as cuttings!

Attachments

• 2CB4CFA0-1140-43DD-A3A1-CD0CBC9EA169.jpeg
    2CB4CFA0-1140-43DD-A3A1-CD0CBC9EA169.jpeg
    214.8 KB · Views: 44
  • 8654B1B8-742B-4752-89C3-5BCDA6F4A17F.jpeg
    8654B1B8-742B-4752-89C3-5BCDA6F4A17F.jpeg
    194.4 KB · Views: 36
  • 72BEC61A-0379-487E-BBE3-35B084577E34.jpeg
    72BEC61A-0379-487E-BBE3-35B084577E34.jpeg
    165.2 KB · Views: 34
  • 6069EA99-7E8B-4390-B7C1-8DAD71AC2C76.jpeg
    6069EA99-7E8B-4390-B7C1-8DAD71AC2C76.jpeg
    198.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 817F022C-164F-456B-86CD-C48AF42B1230.jpeg
    817F022C-164F-456B-86CD-C48AF42B1230.jpeg
    184.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 12F21DD2-935D-433B-B3F8-FE0C8575EC61.jpeg
    12F21DD2-935D-433B-B3F8-FE0C8575EC61.jpeg
    255.5 KB · Views: 32

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
@Gatorade I think that you need to place it in full sun as soon as that thing recovers. The place you have it is way too shaded for a ficus tree, and the growth you will get will not be useful. Kinda like the growth you have now, leggy with sparse foliage.

@Michael P pics of the trees will help a lot, for the ficus, prune and wire if needed, defoliate if needed, and repot. Same day in that order. Protect for a little bit and start to move it gradually into full sun as soon as it starts to push new growth.

Top Bottom