Repotting and Wilting

Tom21

Sapling
Reaction score
So I replanted my Willow Leaf because it needed it badly. I have been watching it for almost a week now and it has steadily become more wilted. I think that I read that Ficus can lose their leaves after a repotting but will grow them back. Is this true? The entire tree is wilted to at least some degree. It is in a somewhat dry room but I keep it on a humidity tray and water frequently

benw3790

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Im no expert on tropicals but i assume It could be from too much water, not enough water or just shock from the repotting itself. Does it get good lighting? Has it been staying TOO wet? Are the leaves changing any colors too?

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Why are you repotting ficus mid winter?

Just asking because I live in a warm climate, my ficus are in a greenhouse w natural and artificial light, and I wouldnt work the roots until after I start seeing really active growth. Probably July.

Scott

Last edited:

Tom21

Sapling
Reaction score
Im no expert on tropicals but i assume It could be from too much water, not enough water or just shock from the repotting itself. Does it get good lighting? Has it been staying TOO wet? Are the leaves changing any colors too?

I don't believe its because of too much water because I am using the chopstick method to check for moisture. The leaves are not changing colors at all, they are staying green. I believe it gets satisfactory lighting. It may be because of too little water because it is in a somewhat dry location.

Tom21

Sapling
Reaction score
Why are you repotting ficus mid winter?

Just asking because I live in a warm climate, my ficus are in a greenhouse w natural and artificial light, and I wouldnt work the roots until after I start seeing really active growth. Probably July.

Scott

I repotted because it was still in a very small seedling pot. The roots had gone around the pot more than once; to say it was root bound is an understatement. The tree is already a foot tall so the seedling pot was not going to work. It is also an indoor only tree under artificial lights, both CFL and grow lights.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Fine to slip pot. But root work on ficus should be done in the summer. Let it grow out of doors and in full sun on those dog days of summer.

And then work the roots.

Scott

garywood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Tom, in the mean time plants wilt from lack of water. There are "lots" of reasons. Roots aren't there to provide the water or lack of humidity that allows water to leave the plant faster than the plant can replenish. Given your scenario it's probably the re-potting. Humidity trays are useless for effective humidity control. Put the tree in a plastic bag and mist. Open the bag every couple of days for air exchange and water only when it needs it (ie) not wet.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Tom.

How much of the roots did you remove?
Feeder roots left?
How much off the top?
I assume it is green new growth wilting?
Why the question of the leaves?
Was it doing ok there before?

Pics?

Sorce

Top Bottom