Repotting another juniper today (Ole No. 2)

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I think it would look better with that branch gone, but the way you have it now is still nice, and very true to your style.
Thanks @Ruddigger , I was eyeing one of Naos pots for it, but at the end of the day
I stayed $14 under budget. Will this branch lend to any girth increase in the meantime?
That's the only reason I've left it on I think, but if it's not viable, maybe April 1st would be a good time?
I mean to leave a juvenile (extended) jin.

Ruddigger

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Thanks @Ruddigger , I was eyeing one of Naos pots for it, but at the end of the day
I stayed $14 under budget. Will this branch lend to any girth increase in the meantime?
That's the only reason I've left it on I think, but if it's not viable, maybe April 1st would be a good time?
I mean to leave a juvenile (extended) jin.

You can cut it anytime.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You can cut it anytime.
Even though I'll be jinning back to the shoulder at the same time?

If it won't help add any girth particularly, I would prefer to be able
to do this earlier in the year, and there is time to heal before Winter.
My carving skills aren't recommended if I cut now, and jin later :)
Repotted this year, I don't mind waiting. Appreciate your input and eye on this.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah I’d agree. Cutting now would be just fine. A massive cutback may not be advised this time of year. But I’ve also done that with little to no issue around this time.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I do recognize also that this tree is inline with your style of junipers, which is the appearance of a healthy tree. Most of your junipers I’ve seen Paul are thick vigorous. But I will say, the addition of some strategically located jins would really set this tree off. IMO

Esolin

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Beautiful tree! I'd probably shorten the lowest branch on the left hand side to create a little more asymmetry and expose the trunk more, but your dense, ramified branch structure is amazing.

Top Bottom