Repotting broadleaf evergreens

Reaction score
Hi guys, first post. Thanks for having me.

So I have a Schilling's Ilex vomitoria and I'm loving it. First broadleaf evergreen bonsai. I have it under grow lights as I'm in Canada and it already had produced a considerable bit of new foliage when I got it from the bonsai nursery.Going outside ASAP. Now, it's in soil that's less than ideal and I have a pot that's smaller and would suit it really well.
I'm not sure how lenient they are with repotting time, as it seems to just continue to grow. It's under 16 hours of light and consistently around 18 - 20 degrees Celsius. Again first time with these. Can I repot, put in better soil and trim 30 percent of the roots?

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Trees generally sense shortening days to change their growth pattern. Following within a few weeks of the summer solstice they will steadily grow roots. IMHO, this is why 'tropicals' are repotted in summer.

So, I speculate a few weeks after reducing the day length (by taking it out from under your lights to outdoors) would be prime for repotting. In other words, a few weeks after putting it outside.

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply, they won't be going out till end of May, that's when risk of frost ends for us here, so it'll be 16 hours regardless it would seem. Perhaps better to wait till next year

WesternGrower

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
You can also turn off your lights about 1-2 minutes earlier each day so simulate a natural daylight shortening rate.

Top Bottom