Repotting Coast Redwood in the Bay Area

cbrshadow23

Shohin
Reaction score
I have a bunch of very healthy Coast Redwood's that I want to repot this spring. I live in Fremont, CA and I'm wondering what month is best to do this. Any tips would be great.

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
FYI folks grow these from burls with NO roots so should have little worry;).

Yes, but: redwood burls rarely grow roots when cut from the tree. Burls are primarily latent buds and a ton of stored energy...they can sprout readily just being placed in water. Or sometimes just being set on a shelf!

I'm not in CA but, for what it's woryh: when I was in Kansas City, I would repot my coastal redwoods about now: late January - mid-February. I'm a zone colder now in Chicago and will likely move that schedule to early March. Basically, I repot a month or so before I can expect them to start more active growth. That gives the damaged roots a chance to heal before they start migrating outside in my rainy season.

I've had trees suffer when I've repotted during the rainy season or while they were in active growth.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't currently have redwoods, but I have a bunch of trees starting to push growth now. They'll probably go in fits and starts through Feb. I try to get everything repotted by the end of February here in central coast.

cbrshadow23

Shohin
Reaction score
Yes, but: redwood burls rarely grow roots when cut from the tree. Burls are primarily latent buds and a ton of stored energy...they can sprout readily just being placed in water. Or sometimes just being set on a shelf!

I'm not in CA but, for what it's woryh: when I was in Kansas City, I would repot my coastal redwoods about now: late January - mid-February. I'm a zone colder now in Chicago and will likely move that schedule to early March. Basically, I repot a month or so before I can expect them to start more active growth. That gives the damaged roots a chance to heal before they start migrating outside in my rainy season.

I've had trees suffer when I've repotted during the rainy season or while they were in active growth.
How do Redwoods do in Chicago? I'm in Northern California and have a bunch of collected Redwooods, but I'll be moving back to Chicago this year and am debating bringing a few Redwoods with me.

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How do Redwoods do in Chicago? I'm in Northern California and have a bunch of collected Redwooods, but I'll be moving back to Chicago this year and am debating bringing a few Redwoods with me.

I don't want to derail your thread further :( I added my answer to my own redwood thread here:

On the repotting in CA, my experience is that cool and wet = bad. Don't repot under those conditions. I now always try to repot before expected new growth...unless it is cold and wet :)

Top Bottom