Repotting Cuttings

pbrown00

Mame
Reaction score
I have managed to root some cuttings that I took throughout this past Winter. The pots were knocked over by some wind a couple of months ago, and I quickly put them back in their pots, but the cuttings were mixed up, and in some cases, tightly bunched together. Now many of them are nicely rooted, but some are packed pretty tightly together in their pots. In addition, some of the tightly packed cuttings are different species, including: one dogwood, one unidentified cedar, multiple western red cedars, one cypress, lots of forsythia, one hemlock, one cotoneaster, a few coastal redwoods, some ornamental cherries, some privets, one cutting of an unidentified tree, and three cuttings of an unidentified bush/tree. My question is this: Can I safely repot some of the cuttings that are crowding the pots at this time of year?

IMG_4579.jpg

IMG_4581.jpg
IMG_4610.jpg
IMG_4613.jpg

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I don't know if you safely can, but if I was in your place, I would have just repotted them.

The roots are there, the plants are doing fine, they've had roughly 6 months to establish. That's enough go-ahead signs for me personally. But I like taking a little risk and I don't mind losing a few. I'd just make sure I'd transfer some of the soil they're in, into the new soil.

The younger they are, the more fragile. But the later you pick them apart, the more damage it will do when untanglig the roots.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you do this carefull and provide a bit of care afterwards (Shield from midday sun & wind) you should be fine.

However, when I look at this, I see no real reason for doing so. They are not really hindering eachother?

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I also would separate them and repot now. I just did this with a bunch of azalea, boxwood and yew that I rooted over winter. They seem fine.
Just resist any root work and get them re-established.
CW

coachspinks

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Congrats on your cuttings! Can you move them to new pots now? Yes. Do you risk losing some? Yes.
It is a risk vs reward question. What do you gain by putting them in their own pots now? Are they hindering each other's growth?

If it were me I would wait until next spring. You could do some initial root work while repotting and probably be farther ahead next spring than if you were to simply give them their own pots now.

pbrown00

Mame
Reaction score
I repotted some of the cuttings and left the others alone. The reason I repotted some is because this whole thing is an experiment; these are the first cuttings I've taken. I'm leaving the repotted ones in the shade for a couple days. I will post pics of the repotted cuttings. Thanks for the advice everyone!

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I repotted some of the cuttings and left the others alone. The reason I repotted some is because this whole thing is an experiment; these are the first cuttings I've taken. I'm leaving the repotted ones in the shade for a couple days. I will post pics of the repotted cuttings. Thanks for the advice everyone!

I would plan on a bright shady location for a while depending on where you live. My rooted cuttings will be in part shade till next season.

pbrown00

Mame
Reaction score
I would plan on a bright shady location for a while depending on where you live. My rooted cuttings will be in part shade till next season.

Do you recommend that I keep all of the rooted cuttings in part shade, or just the ones that I repotted?

pbrown00

Mame
Reaction score
Update: I repotted a few of the cuttings: Two forsythias, an ornamental cherry, an unidentified tree, and a cedar of some sort.

IMG_9124.jpg

IMG_9129.jpg

IMG_9151.jpg
IMG_9143.jpg

IMG_9142.jpg

Top Bottom