Repotting Ficus, need help!

Reaction score
I recently received a long-neglected bonsai, that I *think* is a ficus. It was previously in a thin, somewhat deep pot with no drainage. I just repotted it into a more fitting pot, but wanted some expert opinion. It has two thick wooden roots, and it used to have a third, but that has since rotted away into a stump (see photo). Because it was in a deep pot, the wooden roots are long, so it sits relatively high in the 2" deep pot I selected.

First off, is this pot to small for this? And what would you suggest I do with that root that's hovering about the soil? Should I get a deeper pot and make sure this is beneath the soil?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20180520_153516.jpg
    20180520_153516.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 38
  • 20180520_153550.jpg
    20180520_153550.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 38
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Pack some sphagnum around the existing roots and wrap it in foil, and give it a real light twist periodically, in the same direction. and in a few months (or like 3 days if you have it in full sun) you'll have roots sprouting to cover up the existing monstrosity. The light twist is to not break the roots, but to attempt a spiral motion to the roots.

Reaction score
Pack some sphagnum around the existing roots and wrap it in foil, and give it a real light twist periodically, in the same direction. and in a few months (or like 3 days if you have it in full sun) you'll have roots sprouting to cover up the existing monstrosity. The light twist is to not break the roots, but to attempt a spiral motion to the roots.

Thanks for the quick response. Do you mean I should wrap the whole base in foil, or just the area around the roots? And would you otherwise say the pot is sufficient size, or should I consider a larger one?

Thanks!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Depends what look you are going for as to where you want the new root coming from, either just above where existing roots join, or higher up for more of a banyan style. Pot size is good. These thicken up readily even in potted life.

Top Bottom