Repotting fig tree advice

Balbs

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Hi All,

I’m new to bonsai, and this thread is only sort-of about bonsai. I’ve had a potted fig (ficus carica) for about seven years. The last few years it has really lost vigor. As I continue to study bonsai, I realize it’s highly likely that the loss of vigor is due to being rootbound and needing fresh soil. I would like to do that this year. What is the right time of year? What’s the right approach? How much rootage should I remove? Should I comb it out? Should I try and bare root it? The tree is really big. The soil seems ROCK hard.

Attachments

• 65D625DD-E522-4ABD-B0C0-D70408F5933C.jpeg
    65D625DD-E522-4ABD-B0C0-D70408F5933C.jpeg
    231.8 KB · Views: 26

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't know your location but if it is dormant as shown in picture re-pot it now. Are you using it as a bonsai or an ornamental? As a bonsai it will need root pruning, combing and a good bonsai mix. However it seems you are just treating it as a large plant. If so just bust up the root ball a little with your hands, prune the roots about 25-35% and use a good free draining potting soil.

Balbs

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Thank you. I’m in Massachusetts. I haven’t been treating it as a bonsai, though I have been considering trying to in the future. I need to get it in good health first. You’re right, it is just coming out of dormancy. Thanks for the advice.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Figs in general are pretty tolerant. Ficus carica is very tolerant so you can remove almost all the roots if necessary and they will survive. No problem with bare root. Can be pruned down to the ground and they will still sprout new shoots.
With really root bound trees don't bother combing out roots. Work down from the top to make sure there are some lateral roots growing from the trunk then just saw right through the root ball about half way down. Then cut or saw around the perimeter to remove the remaining tangled and matted roots. That will make it far easier and quicker to remove the rest of the old soil so you can prune the remaining roots selectively.
You should be able to remove way more than 50% of existing roots if necessary.
Tropical ficus are best repotted in warmer months but this one can be done pretty much any time of year. Now is good.

Top Bottom