Repotting in Winter -What Conditions are Safe Practice?

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Unheated garage, below the stairs, wine cellar, up and exposed, or overwintered outside, what species and conditions make you confident to repot in winter?

Deciduous or evergreen, please only share experience and success, even if wrought through failure.

Thank you

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
To be honest.. I have repotted throughout the year, and not really ran into problems. For inter repotting my aftercare has been: protect from deep frost. And then.. Last year we had all of the sudden a week of -15c after I had repotted many trees already and I could only place them in a shed which is only marginally warmer (ventilated roof). Did not have 1 casualty I think. More and more I start to believe that is matters little, as long as you can protect from strong winds and sun.

I have repotted maybe half of the trees needing repotting over the last weeks already. Larch, juniper, maples, hornbeams

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Surely location is going to have a big influence on when we can repot and root prune?
Down here I start repotting trident maples and pines from mid winter. It may even be possible to repot earlier, I just have not tried that yet.
In warmer areas many species can be repotted year round with no extra care.
I have repotted youngish trident maples in summer. They usually drop leaves but recover in a few weeks and grow as normal.

I also have doubts as to the accepted narrow windows for doing many bonsai tasks.

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
To be honest.. I have repotted throughout the year, and not really ran into problems. For inter repotting my aftercare has been: protect from deep frost. And then.. Last year we had all of the sudden a week of -15c after I had repotted many trees already and I could only place them in a shed which is only marginally warmer (ventilated roof). Did not have 1 casualty I think. More and more I start to believe that is matters little, as long as you can protect from strong winds and sun.

I have repotted maybe half of the trees needing repotting over the last weeks already. Larch, juniper, maples, hornbeams
This is exactly what I was pondering toward, greatly appreciate your understanding and experience!

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I've re-potted several very old junipers and one mature JBP with lots of root work and had inadvertent freezing of the rootball afterwards with no adverse affects. With that being said, I'd prefer to prevent freeze thaw of the root ball after root work and ideally, have the soil over 40 F to allow for some root activity and growth/healing. Several maples- always dwarf cultivars like kiyohime and kotohime- have done poorly with early repots as I believe the cold and wet fosters Pseudomonas infections that prove lethal to less vigorous palmatums. Up here in zone 6 MI, I'll be utilizing a cold room and heat pads on the early re-pots I do, as I'll be able to keep the air temps below 40 F but above freezing and stimulate the roots with the bottom heat.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Not repotting anything this winter, but experimenting with leaving everything outside and heeled in regardless of temperatures. I did that in my first couple years with no loss, then saw more experienced folks in my club sheltering trees in sheds and garages and tried that. Lost more trees last year from overwintering in the garage than I have at any one point in my hobby. Some good ones too :(

I think the rules of when as it applies to bonsai and plant care in general are probably just good rules of thumb for highest rate of success. I've seen many posts here and elsewhere with key procedures done out of season and with good aftercare are successful.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Unheated garage, below the stairs, wine cellar, up and exposed, or overwintered outside, what species and conditions make you confident to repot in winter?

Deciduous or evergreen, please only share experience and success, even if wrought through failure.

Thank you
Well damn I wish I had a wine cellar

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I believe the cold and wet fosters Pseudomonas infections that prove lethal to less vigorous palmatums.
VERY good point. Risk of infections remains high for as long as roots have not recovered, which takes till springflush if you repot in winter
Lost more trees last year from overwintering in the garage
yup, I always smile when people see their maples flush in the shed in Januari, then complan things freeze up in feb :)

Reaction score
I repot most of my trees in winter and leave them outside in their normal position. No casualties so far. However I live in a place where I never get freezing temperatures. This is probably not the norm. For instance, my A palmatum are starting to push buds and dropped its leaves in November. On the other hand, my tridents are in fall colour now and starting to drop leaves. It varies widely among species here. And from one year to the other.

Coppersdad

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Not repotting anything this winter, but experimenting with leaving everything outside and heeled in regardless of temperatures. I did that in my first couple years with no loss, then saw more experienced folks in my club sheltering trees in sheds and garages and tried that. Lost more trees last year from overwintering in the garage than I have at any one point in my hobby. Some good ones too :(

I think the rules of when as it applies to bonsai and plant care in general are probably just good rules of thumb for highest rate of success. I've seen many posts here and elsewhere with key procedures done out of season and with good aftercare are successful.
Could it be the "rules of when" provide us with advice as to the time of year that will give the least shock and setback to the tree? I mean to say I can repot at any time but the "right" time gives me the best chance of the tree continuing in it's development without a pause for recovery from the repot.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Could it be the "rules of when" provide us with advice as to the time of year that will give the least shock and setback to the tree?
I think the spring repotting is the period during which, for most species, the risk is lowest that a stupid mistake kills a tree, as most species will start spring with a good amount of rootgrowth. That being said, everybody who has taken airlayers and separated in late spring / early summer knows that in the few months untill winter the post-separation pot fills with roots before winter. Grounds to consider why late spring repotting is not done more often.

Some argue that most bonsai are repotted too early for optimal recovery.

Climate, predictability of weather, aftercare & individual skills all come into play here. This really is not a one-fits-all situation

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Personally wait until normal danger of hard frost past as all trees stay outdoors. Even if repotting later than ideal past 25 years or so have had 100% success😌.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It depends where you live and the risk of a hard freeze.

I personally believe the danger is greater if you repot early (going into winter) than if you repot late (coming out of winter). In Southern California I would repot conifers from Dec onward, but would wait until Feb for deciduous. On rare occasions if I repotted deciduous late in the summer, the tree would push new growth and skip winter altogether. Not a problem in SoCal but perhaps a much bigger problem in Chicago, unless you protected the tree through the winter.

Tropicals, though I think you can repot whenever, I would also repot in the early spring, since they tended to push growth twice per year - spring and fall. I wanted the tree to recover before the heat and low humidity of the summer (for where I lived).

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I’ll be repotting a persimmon next week , but that will be kept in a garage that’s insulated so it never drops below 32F.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
At the point when my bonsai collection was at it's largest, I was- 1) fully employed and worked 40-55 hours a week 2) married to someone who worked similar hours 3) had 2 school age children neck deep in school and extra-curriculars -4) the owner of a large house set on a nice but complicated plot of land, didn't have a greenhouse but had a large deck I could easily store things under and a 2 car garage full of crap, and 5) Lived in N GA where winters were relatively short/mild, but we could, in mid January, see temps fall into the single digits or have tridents, both in the landscape or in pots breaking dormancy, with the potential for future freezing weather into April. Without a doubt, there's an ideal time to re-pot a certain tree in a certain climate, but family life and late winter/early spring weather tend to complicate things, and bonsai was pretty low on the totem pole when it came to competing with work and family stuff. There were years when I might need to re-pot over 30 plants, and my collection definitely trended toward larger trees at that point. Those years, I might start re-potting maples in mid to late January... 6 weeks ahead of schedule... knowing I might not have time when the buds started to push. They'd end up on the garage floor, +/- bottom heat, and happily sit there for a 4-6 weeks before beginning to grow, and then the 2 step would begin... these received the most protection as they were most likely to break dormancy and were probably the most susceptible to freeze damage after root work and/or while breaking dormancy. Smaller pines and junipers would get re-potted as needed and left on the bench unless it was going to fall into the 20's F... into the garage they'd go. The real big, honking junipers would get placed under the deck, perhaps with some mulch, if freezes were forecast. Did they freeze solid once or twice under there... yep, though I suspect the soil really didn't freeze all the way through the pot.

Anyway, the point of this post is to point out that I never lost a tree to re-potting "early" (excluding those wimpy dwarf maples cultivars that truthfully all came from the same vendor and all met the same fate, making me wonder about their health when acquired, but I digress :p ). Ultimately, if you keep trees in climates where it freezes outside, you WILL be doing the bonsai 2-step whether you re-pot early or not, and the earlier the re-pot, the more 2-stepping to be done... unless you're lucky enough to have a green house or cold room with good supplemental lighting. I'm actually planning to start some re-pots next week as this coming March is gonna be a busy one for me... and I'm living in MI! Wish me luck!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom