Repotting "Issue" with explosive root growth.

GarlR

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I repotted my burtt-darvyi ficus, and well...it's growth has absolutely EXPLODED.

Since then, I really need to do something with the leaves because it has grown so much. The issue that stands out is that only after about 2-3 months, the roots are coming out of the bottom holes.

Perhaps I didn't repot it high enough? The height of the container is approximately 4 inches. I potted it roughly 3 to 3.5 inches above the bottom. I also root pruned it a good bit when I repotted.

Any ideas? Should I repot it again? Another issue about cutting them is that when I bought my new pots, they came with humdifier "trays" on them that is connected, so I can't get to it. I just noticed them growing out the side of the tray. Also, it has TONS of aeril roots. Ballparking it, I'd say it has about 7-10.

My natal ficus (which is a good bit more aged) has no issues, but has exploded growth with TONS of green little figs.

Maybe I fertilized too much? I try to just do the recommended fertil about every 2 weeks. I use a bonsai pro fert. (I can't remember the ratio and it is chemical)

Before using that, I was using a low ratio organic fertilizer that was meant to be used outside.

My dwarf japanese maple has exploded growth too. (not roots that I can see) It is supposed to be a slow growing cultiver (I can't remember how to spell the cultivar), but it is growing like a weed it seems. Keep in mind, it is a little whelpling. The trunk if you could call it that is probably 0.5 inches in diamenter. I will try to get pictures when I go home. It has tons of leaves, and has grown from the top leaves of where they were at to roughly 3-4 inches of new vibrant growth.

I'm not exactly sure what is going on.

P.S. I keep them inside. My humidity in my house ranges from 45% to 60%. This is a baseline, and far away from the humidity trays and trees. Also, I use a 10k lumen high output fixture. (Since everyone might not remember)

The problem is so bad, is that growth on the 2 ficus is touching each other because of the growth.

The burtt-daryvi has big leaves that needs reduction. I'm not sure if I need to do a full or partial defoliation. The leaves on the natal is pretty small....most likely as small as they will get. Any ideas on full or partial defoliation on one or both?

I've been letting them grow to help with trunk size. The burtt daryvi with big leaves needs more trunk size overall than the natal....but bigger trunk is always better.

Last edited:

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I will take a shot at a guess, which would be you didn't cut back enough on the roots before potting back up. AT repot time for mine I will remove probably half of the root ball, often with a saws all. Seems really brutal, but you hav ediscovered the secret about ficus, they grow really strong in good conditions. Not sure I recommend doing it again at this point, but you may be ok doing it, but I can suggest a slip potting, and hack the bejesus out of it next year.

GarlR

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I actually root pruned the hell out of it....about half. I was actually worried that it was going to kill it.

I meant to get pictures. I work 7 PM to 7 AM, and I totally crashed after work. I will try to do it in the AM.

:)

Umeboshi

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I think that to a certain extent this is just how ficus act when given favorable conditions. I have had a similar experiance with a red leaf rock ficus I have. I barerooted it, removed well over half of the roots and hacked away most anything thick. Within 3 months the pot was filled with roots with a thick mat of fine roots taken over the soil surface. This was a larger bulb pan too. Roots were pushing out of the drainage holes just like your situation. I feel it is more of a blessing than a problem. Strong roots will slow you to get the thick trunk you want. If your soil is still draining fine than you should be alright.

Reaction score
Get a tray a couple of inches deep and fill it with coarse
builder's sand... Then set your plant on it and allow the
roots to grow down into it.

This will allow the tree to maintain it's health, and you
to not worry about trimming the roots all the time.

I do this all the time with my very small shohin, that are
in shallow pots. Where if I was always trimming the roots
or repotting, it would severely weaken the tree.
:)

GarlR

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I was going to do pictures, but I got called in!! :( I definitely don't work tomorrow, so I will get them tomorrow.

My soil does drain well. They are in a 60% akadama with 50% "bonsai soil" from Wee Tree's that contains soil, some other organic (I think), and some inorganic.

I basically water from every other day. I used to do the chopstick method, but I've gotten the feel of when to water from sight.

It still drains very well. I have to watch how much I water, otherwise it will fill up my fixed humidity tray and overflow on my counter.

My only issue with the roots growing out is root rot if I let too much water stay in the humidity tray.

Reaction score
Sorry, should of been more specific when I said get a tray and fill it with
builders sand... I didn't mean a drip/humidity tray that holds water. I meant
a tray that drains.

GarlR

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Ok. Here we go!

First picture is when I got it in October. Second picture is what it looks today. (It is more growth than that, but I wanted to show the aerial roots, and that was the easiest to see) you can see in the very last pic how far it has grown out to.

redleavesu.jpg

photo1rel.jpg

First picture is when I got it in December. Second picture is what it looks today.

maple2.jpg

photoxi.jpg

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I've got no comment other than "that's a natalensis, not a burtt-dayii."

;)

Top Bottom